Let’s See Your Automotive Advertising Ink Blotters

During the days of fountain pens, ink blotters were common desk accessories.  The blotters were so much in use companies used them as a way to advertise their products to potential customers.  The blotters I have pictured here are automotive related but not for any particular car brand.  Hope you share any blotters you have in this thread about them!

464C4382-DC58-4864-AE0C-07B8E281DF6B.jpeg

2 hours ago, TerryB said:

During the days of fountain pens, ink blotters were common desk accessories.  The blotters were so much in use companies used them as a way to advertise their products to potential customers.  The blotters I have pictured here are automotive related but not for any particular car brand.  Hope you share any blotters you have in this thread about them!

464C4382-DC58-4864-AE0C-07B8E281DF6B.jpeg

" Use your phone" , am I missing the phone number?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I ran across my only auto related ink blotter a few days ago and took a picture to post here. I really enjoy the unusual format of this one. It's sort of a 3-D look that I haven't seen anywhere else.

The business owner, Louis Hoyt, was a "larger than life" character. He was an early bicycle racer, race car driver (Duesenberg Special), barnstormer pilot, kept trained bears around the shop, and occasionally posed them in the race car for photos. My Dad worked for him in the early thirties, at the end of Lou's career. There were no lack of great anecdotes to hear when I was a budding old car nut, growing up.

Bob

IMG_0616.jpeg

• Like 3

I posted my "only" advertising blotter here a week ago, but have since run across another that sort of fits the bill. This one is from 1962 which I suspect would be quite late for blotters in general. It is also from a time in which antique autos were a curiosity to the general public, and were beginning to be used as advertising art for various promotions: both auto related and non-auto related. The "AUTOMEMORIES" illustrations were a series that appeared occasionally, particularly in the case of continual monthly productions such as this calendar. In this case, a 1909 Stoddard-Dayton used in a 1962 business advertisement.

IMG_0651.jpeg

• Like 1

Nice blotter Bob.  Wonder if there were a number of different cars pictured on those, perhaps one for each month of the year?  So, you've got to find the other 11 I guess.   Remember though - three is a collection so you're well on your way.

Terry

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...