Vacuum Tank Restoration by HalHoughton

Jim Cohen

Hello out their,

I have been trying to contact Hal Houghton who restores vacuum tanks, he has had my tank for almost a year and phone calls and emails are not being returned. Can anyone tell me how to get in touch with him, he is located in NY

Thanks, Jim

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/7/2022 at 4:40 PM, West Peterson said:

Tim Long, one of our AACA Forum members, may be able to shed more light on what's happened to Hal. Tim overhauls tanks here in Dayton area, and sells reproduction parts for them.

West, I think you mean Dennis (Denny) Long, of Beavercreek, Ohio (a Dayton suburb). Denny is an old friend of mine, and an occasional contributor on the AACA forums. Let me know if you need help contacting him. 

I purchased a set of gaskets and springs from Hal for my Stewart Warner Vacuum Tank a year ago.  When I tried calling the number listed for Classic Preservation soon after there was a recording saying he was experiencing "health issues".  That same recorded message continued for some time and I eventually gave up trying to reach him.  

I hope everything works out for you Jim.  I apologize if this reads like I'm hijacking the thread, but I would really appreciate the contact information for the Fella in Ohio who restores the vacuum tanks.  Or anybody else that does that.  I'm on the west coast of BC.  I've been thinking about putting mine back into service.  It actually looks and operates like it would work just fine.  But it would be nice to have some contact info on guys who rebuild them, just in case. 

5 minutes ago, timecapsule said:

I hope everything works out for you Jim.  I apologize if this reads like I'm hijacking the thread, but I would really appreciate the contact information for the Fella in Ohio who restores the vacuum tanks.  Or anybody else that does that.  I'm on the west coast of BC.  I've been thinking about putting mine back into service.  It actually looks and operates like it would work just fine.  But it would be nice to have some contact info on guys who rebuild them, just in case. 

That would be "Old Car Fan". See his post above. You can send him a message.

• Thanks 1

I talked to Bill James at this past year's Hershey meet, who had a vacuum tank display and seemed to have a good handle on all of the ins & outs on them.  He convinced me that it swapping out my current cracked/JB welded top for a new cast aluminum top was not as easy as it might seem due to the pressed in valve seats.  I haven't used his services yet but I'm posting his information here in case someone wants to contact him.

Bill James

bj31kars@yahoo.com   

Box 103

Apple River, IL  61001

(815) 594-2541

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...