Prewar Buick Hubcap Identification

TexRiv_63

OK here are the two I have now, the first is aluminum and the second is nickel plated brass.

My question about an ID source was more general. There are two very helpful websites that I use to identify radiator emblems but I have not found anything similar for threaded hubcaps.

buick3282.jpg

buick3282d.jpg

buick3283.jpg

buick3283d.jpg

Don't know a website or other ID source's but the the one on top is installed on my 1928-51 and according to the "1928 Buick 120 & 128 Series Parts Book" available in 7 different colors (top of the cap, behind the BUICK letters) 

Mine have been re-chromed, thats why they are not colored

IMG_1013.JPG

IMG_7461.jpg

Edited by dracenroc (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/24/2022 at 9:12 PM, dibarlaw said:

The aluminum one is a 1926 or 1927. The I.D. size will tell if it is for a Master or Standard. The block Letter example is 1923 and a few years earlier. Size will indicate 4 or 6 cylinder application.

Thanks. Can anyone expand on the size differences? The aluminum cap is 3 1/4" outside diameter, the brass one is 3 1/2".

On 11/24/2022 at 3:21 PM, dracenroc said:

Don't know a website or other ID source's but the the one on top is installed on my 1928-51 and according to the "1928 Buick 120 & 128 Series Parts Book" available in 7 different colors (top of the cap, behind the BUICK letters) 

Mine have been re-chromed, thats why they are not colored

IMG_1013.JPG

IMG_7461.jpg

Thanks. My aluminum cap is different from yours. Mine has a plain base with a simple stamping, yours has the fascinating "folded" stamping in the thread area resulting in double thickness metal behind the threads. Always wondered how they did that.

The 3-1/2" OD cap fits Master.  My Master alum cap measured around 3.55" and brass cap measured 3.51".

Standard cap for years 1926-28 is approx 3-3/8" OD and made from alum.  Mine has script lettering. 

Another cap in my collection is approx 3.3" OD, alum with block lettering  and does not fit a Standard hub. 

I have seen a collection of teens -twenties hubcaps identified by year yet cannot recall where.  Perhaps it was in a Bugle article ? 

Edited by Oregon Desert model 45
edit (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...