For Sale: 1959 Buick Electra 225 - $24,000 (Oklahoma - scam???)

Not Mine - sorry, probably a scam - price unrealistic

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/ctd/7559316634.html

The Electra, along with all other 1959 Buicks, featured all new styling not shared with other GM divisions. The restyling included slanted headlights along with a highly chromed square grille. The rear of the car featured "Delta-Fins" and round taillights. Exterior distinction from other Buicks came from extra-wide moldings and a massive Electra emblem on the front fender extensions.

This fully restored 1959 Buick Electra 225 is in very good overall condition. Featuring its factory color combination of Artic White exterior with a luxurious red leather interior. The rare option of front bucket seats makes this Buick Electra standout in its class. The power equipment on this Buick includes steering, brakes, windows, seats and top. The car is also nicely equipped with air conditioning, AM radio and rear seat speaker.

When opening the hood, you see a pristine engine bay featuring a 401ci "Nailhead" eight-cylinder engine producing 325hp. The air filter with the "Wildcat" logo supplies the 4-barrel carburetor with all the air needed to move this Buick down the road. The Nailhead motor is mated to a smooth shifting Twin Turbine Dynaflow 2-speed automatic transmission while the stopping power for this classic Buick is supplied by the aluminum finned power drum brakes

Call (or text) 40529330 one three [many more pics in ad] 

ax0100909_97X3BPMUqNgz_0cU07W_1200x900.jpg

ax0200q0q_4erB0Z7OhI1z_0cU07W_1200x900.jpg

ax0300G0G_6SlaxHtJdTiz_0cU07W_1200x900.jpg

ax0400o0o_aoUlwYiZIBDz_0cU07W_1200x900.jpg

ax0500t0t_etiJC0phwjTz_0cU07W_1200x900.jpg

ax0600t0t_ldE2GfYtDN3z_0cU07W_1200x900.jpg

ax0700h0h_aX6Lhbt8az_0cU07W_1200x900.jpg

ax0800X0X_dBVxU4XmPcKz_0cU07W_1200x900.jpg

Edited by classiclines (see edit history)
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

When I saw the heading, a 1959 Buick Electra for

$24,000, I didn't expect to see a convertible.

They should sell for well over this figure in excellent

condition.

Is this a legitimate ad?  I wonder.

this is a scam. a quick google search will show the car in the original listing from the selling dealer. 

• Thanks 1

I presume this is the source of the pictures - was posted on classiccars.com for $74,900

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1361689/1959-buick-electra-for-sale-in-beverly-massachusetts-01915

sorry folks - fooled me - figured there was something wrong with it and you would tell me what...

I always catch the corvette, and muscle car scams, but missed this one 

• Like 2

• classiclines changed the title to For Sale: 1959 Buick Electra 225 - $24,000 (Oklahoma - scam???)

How do these scams work?  I always assumed they would request a deposit to hold it.  

There was a Mercedes for sale locally that was obviously a scam so I was curious how it worked.   I contacted the guy and he said the car had been moved out of state but there was no request for a deposit.   I replied in some vague fashion that I liked the car, expecting "I'll hold it for $500," or something like that, but he never got back to me. 

But this is still a gorgeous car.

Edited by Angelfish (see edit history)

I'm with Angelfish. Just how do these scams work?  Do they expect someone to buy the car sight unseen and just wire the funds to the supposed seller? The idea of extracting a smaller deposit from an interested buyer seems like a likely ploy.  I just bought a car off of CraigsList from a very nice and honest seller.  Every older car That I've bought in the last 15 years has been off of CL. Never been scammed, but I am careful meeting sellers and usually will not go by myself. 

"This posting has been deleted by its author,"

says Craig's List.  Did the site, I wonder, force him

to take it down?

Scammers, nevertheless, should all be in jail.

An attempted fraud is just as bad as a successful

fraud:  Only the people's alertness, not the criminal's

honesty, kept it from being an actual theft.

Each scam is up to the "creativity" of the scammer.

In most cases, the scam is based on the car being priced "almost too good to be true."

And, when contacted, the scammer says they need to get rid of it fast, so, YOU have to act fast.

And, there is some reason you cannot come and see the car today.

But, they are willing to take a "deposit" to hold the car for you - and if you don't hurry and put down a deposit - this opportunity will slip away.

I see it most for 1963 split window Corvettes for $29,999 or $39,999.

But I've seen it on various models old and new, e.g. bubble-top 1959 Chevy Impalas for $15,999.

There are articles on online to warn people...  just google the topic...  examples below...

https://belmonteauto.com/used-car-scams-on-the-rise-as-sales-soar/

https://www.wcpo.com/money/consumer/dont-waste-your-money/fake-used-car-ads-are-everywhere-how-to-spot-one

https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/investigations/how-to-spot-fake-vehicle-ads/63-f9bc2b29-4c00-46f1-b691-5549dcaea2b5

Be Safe!!!

Edited by classiclines
clarification (see edit history)

Good topic and necessary.  We should share as much as possible so others are forewarnedI.

I recently noticed a lot of scam posts on Facebook marketplace.  I flagged them and next morning they were gone only to be replaced by new ones. 

I replied to one to see what would happen and I immediately got what must be an automated reply asking me to reply to an email address because the person was at work..?

This is often a pattern.  They won't communicate on the platform and ask to move to email or text etc.  

Payment of a "deposit" or similar is often asked via Bitcoin or Zelle so this should be a red flag as you'll never recover any of the money you send. 

...oh and I read that there will probably be a class action suit originating from North Carolina bank customers concerning scams executed/paid via Zelle.

Zelle offers no protection at all and until recently the banks did not issue any warning that there is no protection for funds sent via Zelle.  This is a bone of contention, as a Federal law (forget the exact details) seems to indicate they should be responsible to cover their customers as they are for credit card fraud...  

Edited by Electra63 (see edit history)
  • Like 2