For Sale: 1941 Packard Custom Super Eight 180 Sport Brougham by LeBaron - Major Project - $15,000 - Midway, KY - Not Mine

For Sale: 1941 Packard Custom Super Eight 180 Sport Brougham by LeBaron - Major Project - $15,000 - Midway, KY

1941 Packard 180 Brougham - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)
Seller's Description:

1941 Packard Brougham for sale. This was the top of the line in 1941. It has power windows and if you can find one to put in it was the second year that had air conditioning as an option on an American automobile. It will need to be restored but is well worth restoring. The seats on these cars to be completely correct had goose down in the seats and the engines were tested a minimum of 3 times during the build process. Great car to restore.

Copy and paste in your email: 870bda3f0a82321c8d3c163d0c9f4530@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1941 Packard Custom Super Eight 180 Sport Brougham by LeBaron - Major Project. 

Note: One of the 99 custom built by LeBaron, these are THE most desirable closed 1941 Packards in the world.  It is worthy of a concours quality restoration.  

'41 Packard 180 Brougham KY a.jpg

'41 Packard 180 Brougham KY b.jpg

'41 Packard 180 Brougham KY c.jpg

'41 Packard 180 Brougham KY d.jpg

'41 Packard 180 Brougham KY e.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, B Jake Moran said:

What am I missing here?

A lot.  Yes, the greenhouse is definitely influenced by the 60S.  The proportions are so well done that the size is not obvious.  This is even more so on the extra long wb version.  This was a far more expensive and exclusive car than a 60S. 

• Like 1

I like these Packards a lot but I always felt that LeBaron saw the 60S and said, "Hey, we can do that!" Definitely a more desirable and valuable car than the Cadillac in terms of production numbers and exclusivity, as others have said.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

OK, yes it does appear to be a specially made Packard near the end of the Coachbuilt era, but I will stand my ground on this one. 

Give me a 38-40 60S any day, fully restored with that whisper quiet V8 (I know the Packard 356 is well known for quietness, I owned a 22nd series Custom) for a fraction of the cost.  Cadillac grilles and front end treatment was better, bodies look about the same to me, even though you are saying the Packard has a longer wheelbase, I find the 60S wheelbase to be ideal for proportions and driving comfort.  

I also owned a 1942 7p Packard 180 with air conditioning.   This is an era I really like, but this one I could easily pass on and get a beautiful running driving 60S for $20,000 all in. 

8 hours ago, alsancle said:

I fixed it!    Voice to text makes me look like a bigger idiot than I really am.

I figured  it was a technological slip, albeit one with an ironic twist to the potential meaning.

I find this car intriguing, and would love to see it restored. Too many wonderful and deserving Classic automobiles out there and too few people with the means and desire to restore them. The sad state of the world today.

Interesting prewar cars like this one I usually check back on everyday to read comments from people more in the know like yourself. That way I keep learning more about some things I may never have.

Thank you.