1957 Buick headlights go out while driving

Frank Falconeri

Just purchased my 1957 Buick Buick special Riviera 2 door hard top car is absolutely fantastic complete restoration done, however I discovered that my headlights turn off while driving at night sometimes they will periodically come back on if I shut the car off turn it back on they might work again  but having a hard time finding a new headlight switch that will work Can anybody tell me why this is happening with the headlights also my - lights are out. I ordered a replacement 1957 Buick headlight switch on eBay when it arrived it said 6 V 6 V but this is a 12 V system so sending it back

The GM headlight switch has a built in, self-resetting circuit breaker. Either you have an intermittent short or the breaker has gone bad. The breaker failure mode is that the contacts get dirty/corroded with age, causing heat due to the excessive resistance, which opens the breaker. A new switch will correct that if it is the problem. If not, then it's the brute force troubleshooting to find the intermittent short. This page provides more info, including a test method for the circuit breaker.

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)
  • Like 5

The headlight switch being a 6V is not a problem. It can handle the extra amperage. The problem could be with the headlights themselves. Modern high output halogens pull too many amps for the older switch. Try the hard to find regular bulbs, or install a relay. Either should correct the problem, unless you do have a short.

• Like 1

I would also look at engine compartment harness to instrument panel wiring harness connectors, located in engine compartment firewall area drivers side,

one wire is for dimmer switch-light switch, SOMETIMES these get corroded and do not make proper connection/contact, usually you can just wire brush them clean OR use electrical contact cleaner. I believe it is a 15 pin connector.

Bob

2790B836-EA70-48B2-9CF9-F628F13C1166.jpeg

Edited by NailheadBob
Added photo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Floor mounted dimmer switches can and often do get corrosion from water damage. They bleed current to ground, because the switch is generally mounted on a grounded steel floor. It kicks out the circuit breaker. That is the first place I would look before replacing headlight switches.

• Like 5