Howdy Riviera friends

sosuzguy

Howdy,

It has been a while since I've been active on this forum, however I am back and will only be using this forum and ROA for technical assistance.  My days on Farsebook are gone (enough said).

I will be attempting to work on the website http://www.79-85gm-ebodies.org/ to update it and include more up to date content, in an online medium that is accessible regardless if you have an account or not.  Let me know if you have any questions about 79-85 Riviera.  

Edited by sosuzguy (see edit history)
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, sosuzguy said:

Howdy,

It has been a while since I've been active on this forum, however I am back and will only be using this forum and ROA for technical assistance.  My days on Farsebook are gone (enough said).

I will be attempting to work on the website http://www.79-85gm-ebodies.org/ to update it and include more up to date content, in an online medium that is accessible regardless if you have an account or not.  Let me know if you have any questions about 79-85 Riviera.  

Hello. Thank you! Can I just ask questions in this topic? When I start my 85 Riviera and when the car is leveling I hear a terrible noise coming from the front. Is that a familiar issue? Could it perhaps be the leveling pump? 

Edited by Lowvalker (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Lowvalker said:

Hello. Thank you! Can I just ask questions in this topic? When I start my 85 Riviera and when the car is leveling I hear a terrible noise coming from the front. Is that a familiar issue? Could it perhaps be the leveling pump? 

Yes that is what the air compressor sounds like.  They are anywhere from 43-37 years old, so you can source a new pump from most current GM vehicles that have it.  You have to remount the pump on the original bracket.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Lowvalker said:

I know that Jayson has the best answer. But on my 85, I replaced the air shocks with some cargo coils and conventional shocks. And discarded the compressor et al.  Never regretted it.

8 hours ago, RivNut said:

I know that Jayson has the best answer. But on my 85, I replaced the air shocks with some cargo coils and conventional shocks. And discarded the compressor et al.  Never regretted it.

So with that replacement I won't lose the exceptional plush ride that I experience now? 

Good to see you back here, Jayson.  I no longer have a Riviera, but I always troll the Riviera (and obviously the Reatta) threads....and make a comment or two when appropriate.  

• Like 1

On 10/23/2022 at 5:28 AM, Lowvalker said:

So with that replacement I won't lose the exceptional plush ride that I experience now? 

It depends on what you do, and with what.  I changed rear springs, upgraded front struts and it rode much stiffer, like a T-type suspension.  On another 85 Riv I still have original springs and shocks.  Both cars still have, or I've repaired in the process, the ELC systems and I've had no issues.  I simply prefer to get it fixed, do it right first and move on down the road.  The 85 with original springs and original type, basic strut up front, (along with making sure all your rubber up front is good, and replacing it when bad) has the BEST, plush ride of all my cars.  In my experience there are multiple parts, that when working together, create a better end result -> Spring rates, bushings and caliber of shock absorbers.  (Hemmings, 2018)

Sources for further information:  https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/suspending-disbelief

On 10/23/2022 at 10:11 AM, dship said:

Good to see you back here, Jayson.  I no longer have a Riviera, but I always troll the Riviera (and obviously the Reatta) threads....and make a comment or two when appropriate.  

Dave, did you ever hear what happened with all of those Riviera's that Cal owned?  

2 hours ago, sosuzguy said:

Dave, did you ever hear what happened with all of those Riviera's that Cal owned?  

Jayson, no I never did hear.  I did see him at a CT car show a number of years later just before he passed away but did not talk with him.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sosuzguy said:

It depends on what you do, and with what.  I changed rear springs, upgraded front struts and it rode much stiffer, like a.... 

Very interesting. Thank you! 

I could not believe the ride quality and feel when I drove it last week so I'll try to change as little as possible.