Mounting a Grill Badge

TAKerry

Pardon if this seems elementary, but I am a newbie to the grill badge thing. Got mine in the mail yesterday along with the plaque. Thank you AACA!

There are 2 like sized badges, one I assume goes on the board (along with the smaller 'chip'). The other I am assuming is the grill badge. Both the large badges have 2 small size pin nail holes to mount to the board. How do you guys mount these to the car? I am assuming drill out and makes some kind of backing plate and thru bolt it to the grill ?

You are in the right track.   Problem is getting to the back side of the grill on many vehiclels,  All of my mid 30's cars require taking the radiator

off an separating the grill from the radiator in order to be able to put the small nuts on the two threaded studs.   On my 35 Ford Pickup i was able to remove the splash pan below the  grill, but it required about 10 bolts between the fenders and the grill to come out.   By laying on my back on the floor and reachimg up as far as possible between thr grill & the radiator, Not a fun job,

but it's done.

Our AACA region handed out oval award plaques (mine is HPOF) without the 2 pre drilled holes that I see the AACA national oval award plaques have. I am concerned that trying to drill the holes myself will just ruin everything. How do you get those mounted?  Thanks for any help/suggestions 

1 hour ago, CChinn said:

Our AACA region handed out oval award plaques (mine is HPOF) without the 2 pre drilled holes that I see the AACA national oval award plaques have. I am concerned that trying to drill the holes myself will just ruin everything. How do you get those mounted?  Thanks for any help/suggestions 

A good epoxy adhesieve should solve the problem. Attach flat-head machine screws of whatever length to the back of the plaque in a position to fit through your grille. Or you could attach the plaque directly on a bracket that could be drilled to screw on to your license plate like an old time license topper.

Socony Pegasus license plate topper Art Print by Paul Ward | Fine Art  America

52444319981_091da9ea4e_c.jpg2022-10-21_05-54-05 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

Got it installed last night just in time for a road rally today. I had a piece of aluminum flat bar, about a 1/2" wide, maybe 1/8" thick. I got a couple of 10/24 stainless steel machine screws. I drilled and tapped the aluminum bar stock then threaded the bolts into that on the back side of the grill. I painted the heads of the ss screws gold to match the badge, I painted the aluminum bar black to kinda blend in on the back side. I was going to double nut the bolts but once I threaded through the backing it tightened up nicely. I did have to over drill the badge itself to accept the bolts but doing so slowly was not a  problem. It was getting dark and I didnt get a good 'behind' shot. I will try to today.

Thanks to all the replies.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1