Republic Motor cars

Don Jr.

Hi had the good fortune to visit friends in West Chester Ohio to pick up parts. We traveled to their daughters home in Hamilton. Their home is the George Rentschler mansion. They are currently restoring it. What a grand home in deed. I want to cut out a silhouette of a Republic Motor car so they can adorn the front fence that surrounds the home. Looked on line and car was rare as hen's teeth. Can someone point me to a good side shot of the Roaster and Touring I might be able to blow up and make a template. Also the radiator badge and possibly make one of those up too. Thanks for any help on this, Don.

Tried searching the Period images to relieve some of the stress thread and found eight results. Might be something in that thread that will help.

Showing results for 'republic' in content posted in Period images to relieve some of the stress. - Antique Automobile Club of America - Discussion Forums (aaca.org)

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Don Jr. said:

Hi had the good fortune to visit friends in West Chester Ohio to pick up parts. We traveled to their daughters home in Hamilton. Their home is the George Rentschler mansion. They are currently restoring it. What a grand home in deed. I want to cut out a silhouette of a Republic Motor car so they can adorn the front fence that surrounds the home. Looked on line and car was rare as hen's teeth. Can someone point me to a good side shot of the Roaster and Touring I might be able to blow up and make a template. Also the radiator badge and possibly make one of those up too. Thanks for any help on this, Don.

Is something like this any better quality than what you've found so far, or are you looking for an actual photograph?

R.cd9ac7f5e8bcd4c6674f279841bec7e6?rik=cNXfzCk0Z%2f7qZA&riu=http%3a%2f%2fantiquecars.org%2frepublic+car_files%2fRepublic%2525201n.jpg&ehk=Ei%2fdXkdZilaV5cn2EHoJrX8fnqusxRpp9MM85TJbNng%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

• Like 1

Fantastic replies. Yes that is the house. Yes Radiator badge will work quite well. And side shot of car with Fire apparatus will work for this too. Did not know if just the roadster and Touring was only offerings.

Kids that own (compared to me)   are slowly bringing it back. The outside is stabilized and the Carriage house is solid but needs a new Slate roof. Inside is beautiful woodwork thru out but again years of decline took it's toll on it. We walked all 4 floors including basement. George also was involved in the Corless Steam engine. He passed away in the house in 1923 and his son believe in the 1940's. The neighbor hood is on the rise and many historic homes being refurbished. I drove past where the Fisher stamping plant was a few miles away. City of Hamilton is doing well considering the pull out of major businesses. Same story all over America. Thank you all. Will see what I can whip up.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Don Jr. said:

I want to cut out a silhouette of a Republic Motor car so they can adorn the front fence that surrounds the home. 

There are other ways they might enjoy a Republic memento, too.

A few I can think of are:

---Obtain a Republic radiator emblem, and put it in a shadow box.

They may be hard to find, but I'm sure a few are out there.

---Frame an authentic Republic ad for their entrance hall.

Ads should be easier to find than actual car emblems.

---Frame an antique photograph of a Republic in a similar manner.

---Laser etch an image (of a car, an emblem, etc.) onto metal.

Mount on marble to use as a plaque, a paperweight, or something else.

---Sandblast a Republic script onto their shower door.

And as many other ways as one's creativity permits!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

And as many other ways as one's creativity permits!

Great suggestions, John!

Even if they only chose the framed authentic ad at the entrance, one can imagine the entertaining conversations it would prevoke.

I'd vote for all of the above, but then again, it's not my house or money... 

Would love to see that home and area of Ohio, it sounds gorgeous and the historical background would only contibute to the excitement. 

@Don Jr.
We wish the new owners well and years of enjoyment. 

Thank them on behalf of all of us in the antique car community for saving a piece of automotive and architectural history. :) 

Yes all of the above suggestions are great. Will pursue these. They are great stewards of this home and are devoting many hours and dollars to bring this mansion back to what it once was. I will make sure to let them know there are many well wishers out there on their project. I was looking for a way to compliment the heritage justly deserved. It is a shame no cars exist today. Appreciate the input. Will start looking for advertising material to frame for them.

On 10/20/2022 at 7:50 PM, Don Jr. said:

...George also was involved in the Corless Steam engine. 

Don, I don't think you ever answered the question

as to what George Rentschler's relationship was with

the company.  (Copied below.)  If he was the President

or founder, the local historical society may have a picture

of him with one of the cars.  Wouldn't that be an especially

appropriate picture to duplicate and hang on the wall?

Or, possibly search for an ancestor.  Maybe one of his

ancestors has saved or gathered all sorts of documentation

of his life.

On 10/20/2022 at 6:19 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

What was the relationship of George Rentschler

to Republic?  Was he the founder or an executive?

Did he own one?

• Like 1

Hi, I will check with the owners of the house and see if they have any more info on his role in the Company. House left ownership of George's family around early 1940's. It went down hill from there and a few owners after that until the current owners took possession in 2014 I believe. Previous owner before them was murdered somehow. Will check on this. I am doing this on a kind of hush hush basis to suprise the current owners and will get as much info from wife's parents. And yes any print or documents I can find to frame would be a great for them and the home. Will be searching soon. There should be something out there on the car or George. Believe his son was also involved in the business too. Thanks.

Not sure if any of this info is anything you don’t already know but thought it’d be worth sharing anyways. P.s thank you for keeping this wonderful historic home preserved and hopefully kept around for many more generations too enjoy and learn about! AC3403A6-DEAD-46FC-947E-42807962DBCB.jpeg.1959d80f291a190a54b53f4e91ee8c0f.jpeg5990E267-B7ED-4707-9980-E2FAF4026CCF.jpeg.c6af1867a8e1bbbd6ebfd2c7951602fb.jpeg93061951-1565-46F3-AC89-385EE5F8DCAF.jpeg.886796a36b3424e80c410cb535361f10.jpeg

Edited by Cole motor car lover (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Super info. I will try and down load a photo of all this and possibly mount the data in a frame for the home. I was able to purchase a tin sign of the Touring ( modern sign) that someone makes for odd cars and purchased it. Being sent to parents of daughter who owns home. Will pick a time to reveal it to she and her family. I am going to show a photo of the Radiator badge to a friend who not only restores and customizes cars, race cars and motorcycles to see how we can reproduce a likeness of that badge. He is quite an artist too. I am grateful for all in the forum for the help on this. It is a shame none of these cars exist today but at least some data exists. Just trying to do my little  part to preserve a bit of history for our future generation of automobile enthusiasts. I often think if our cars could talk what they would reveal to us as where they came from, who were their owners and what they endured surviving for us to enjoy again. Thanks Appreciate all the help on this. Will report as I progress on this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

She was a big girl! I will use this photo and see my friend who might be able to glean a good size for the Badge. I read where they only made Tourings and Torpedo roadsters. Would this Fire car be a Torpedo roadster with a slight change for storage. If not would  anyone know or have a photo of the Roadster side photo? Thanks.

Yes they do. I did find where an AACA member interviewed an employee from the company in the 1960's. And as a result he came up with more info. It would be nice if he was still around or his info stored somewhere. The Butler County Historical Society may have info on this. I will pursue that lead next.

• Like 1

Don, have you contacted the AACA Library in

Hershey, Pennsylvania?  They may have at least

a few items pertaining to the Republic:  maybe

factory catalogue(s), which would have images

of the car to scan;  maybe a few articles from the

early days or from collectors' magazines;  and

who knows what else?

Hi Just to let folks know the family that owns the home were elated getting the tin repro sign. They are going to proudly place it in the home for display. Will see my friend soon to see how we could reproduce a Radiator emblem. And giving a little breathing room for AACA Library to ask about any info. They took a hard hit as I have read. Like the members here we all have a passion to preserve Automobile history. Will post as I progress. Thanks for all your help.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1