Power steering leak

MusicCityBuick

The location you mention would be in the steering box area if it is on the left side. Get up in there and clean the steering box and lines. If you are lucky it might just be a hose. If it is a steering shaft seal consider a rebuild box instead of replacing just the seal. The shaft usually has enough wear to make a seal replacement ineffective.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MusicCityBuick said:

I opened the PS reservoir, and it’s nearly empty. 

Clear up the entire area round the pump, hoses and steering gear.  Refill.  Start the car and have someone turn the steering wheel lock to lock.  The leak will present itself.  If I were a guessing man I would say the leak is at the steering gear pitman arm shaft seal.  Hopefully it is something easier to repair than the pitman arm shaft seal.      

• Thanks 1

If the leak isn't immediately apparent, you can clean the outside of the system and wrap white towels around the hoses, fittings, etc. Anywhere parts don't move obviously. Leaking fluid has a tendency to migrate, especially in windy conditions. This can give a false impression about the origin of a leak. Putting a diaper on there will help to keep the leak localized. Go for a drive and then start checking the diapers. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, drhach said:

wrap white towels around the hoses, fittings, etc.

Better fix them tightly, would not want an oily towel flying up against the exhaust manifold which is likely very tightly packed around that steering gear.