1914 Cadillac Restoration Project

I am about to potentially start a full restoration on a 1914 Cadillac barn find project. Lots of work to do and some parts missing, hence my post.

I am looking for detailed photos of the petrol tank which is missing , but does attach to the rear of the chassis. Looking for photos on where it is situated and any dimensions / shape etc , in case I need to make on if I cannot source a genuine one.

Edited by John Lynn (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

According to Charlie the 14 had air pressure on it like the 15 and later Cads to push the gas up to the engine. Our 15 had a hand pump under the dash,some are in the dash,to get started then an engine driven pump to keep three or four pounds on the tank. If it gets down to where you might have to build one,I might have a later one that could be used. I'm not familiar with 14's but the 15's up to early 20's were very similar,of course they were all V-8's. 

An update to my previous post - haven't bought it yet but seriously considering it.

This Cadillac Tourer was purchased new in Canada but was involved in a rear end collision very early in its life. The rear end of the car was removed and the vehicle was converted to a tow truck ! 

An ownership change saw the car shipped to the United Kingdom and then to NZ where it has 2-3 owners , none of whom has commenced any type of restoration. The car has only travelled 4000 miles !!!

I am soon to view this car and make the final decision on purchasing the vehicle. The biggest challenge will be re-constructing the rear bodywork as there is nothing left if these parts. Does anyone know of where I could source a detailed plan / blueprint of the body for a tourer ( which is what this car is ).

If I purchase I will certainly be in contact with Charlie K as per previous posted comments.

I also have an option to purchase another barn find - a 1912 Mors Roadster. Taking a look at this as well.

Have attached some photos of the Cadillac.

IMG_1577.jpg

IMG_1578.jpg

IMG_1579.jpg

IMG_1580.jpg

IMG_1581.jpg

IMG_1582.jpg

IMG_1583.jpg

IMG_1584.jpg

IMG_1585.jpg

IMG_1586.jpg

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Following this potential project with interest, as I do like seeing the skill involved in a new body coming to life, and I have been looking at this era Cadillac a lot myself recently. 

4 hours ago, John Lynn said:

How do I contact Charlie K . Not sure how to use this forum to contact.

John

If the forum uses the same software as some others I'm on, you can tag someone in a post like so and they'll get a notification-  @John Lynn you can do the same for @just me

Hope all goes well for you John!

Charley - I also have a bit of a question but I'm too new to be able to PM you - please would you be able to send me a message? Thanks!

• Like 1

John, good luck. Yes I viewed the photos. I believe the car came out of the Reynolds museum in Canada years ago. Might even have some photos of it. 

I am told the 1914 and 15 Cadillac shared the same touring body. Only the dash was different due to 14 being right hand drive and 15 left hand. 

• Like 2

John, here is a link to a restored 1914 Cadillac that sold for $47300 including a 10% bidders premium. It was at the 2021. Hershey AACA meet Sotheby's auction.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/hf21/hershey/lots/r0015-1914-cadillac-model-30-five-passenger-touring/1149816

Best 

Charley 

- 9.595M 26.856M 12:21PM EST 100 37.03 +13.00 +0.32% +356.00 +9.61% 4,059.00  

Eddie I bet knows this guy, his name escapes me but there is a nice 14 Caddy Touring that a fellow downstate in the Fairfield County area restored and owns.  Assuming he still has it, the restoration would be about 20 years old or so now.  Car has been shown at the Klingberg & Greenwich CT events around 2005, 2010.  Stuck in my mind for noth the quality of the car and fact he is my age,at the time I thought it was a pretty cool project choice for someone who likely started it in their 30s.  

Hi Charley

Thanks for that link . I have seen this vehicle and used photos to check on the instrument panels etc for the Cadillac I am looking at at.

Unfortunately , I will not be proceeding with the purchase of this project.

Existing body panels require replacement - totally rusted out. No rear doors, petrol tank or rear body panels.

Chassis has been modified to fit two in line differentials as the two speed differential is not with the vehicle. In fact it is in two halves , not in good condition and requires rebuilding and welding to get it back to original chassis.

The wheels and rims shown in photographs need replacing - fallows, spokes and nubs plus rims.

Really disappointed with what was presented in the advertisement and what was actually physically presented, together with a much inflated  price for the vehicle.

However , the 1912 Mors car project looks promising , so all is not lost !

John

Cadillac price was $8000 USD. ( $ 15000 NZD ) - far too much with what was required to rebuild the car.

The 1912 Mors is still a big project but potentially an opportunity. Still sorting through all the photos and parts that were available. Very limited body work or panels. Two engines but missing carburettor and magneto etc. Majority of parts have been sourced from Europe and Australia.

Have attached some photos of the parts and a photo of a completed car.  I was hoping that the Mors was going to be a Tourer and not a Roadster.

IMG_1752.jpg

IMG_1735.jpg

IMG_1736.jpg

IMG_1737.jpg

IMG_1738.jpg

IMG_1739.jpg

IMG_1740.jpg

IMG_1741.jpg

IMG_1742.jpg

IMG_1743.jpg

IMG_1744.jpg

IMG_1745.jpg

IMG_1746.jpg

IMG_1747.jpg

IMG_1748.jpg

IMG_1749.jpg

IMG_1750.jpg

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Well, the Mors project is alive and well !

I have purchased this project and it looks like the majority of mechanical parts are there , although plenty of restoration and puzzles to solve as I start to sort through everything.

No body parts apart from radiator surround,  fuel tank cowling and two front guards. Options for type of body shape are wide
open !

Two engines that will enable one complete engine to rebuilt from both. Two differentials and one gearbox and majority of other parts to complete mechanicals.

Chassis is in excellent condition.

Will keep you posted on progress.

• Like 3