Classic Motorcycle and the Fonzz

Crusty Trucker

We were just at the Gilmore Auto Museum in Michigan a couple weeks ago where the silver Triumph is on display. The sign claimed that Henry Winkler was not an experienced rider and actually dropped and damaged the bike.

Henry Winkler was an incredibly gifted actor, and artist extraordinaire! He, personally, was nothing like the Fonz character he played on "Happy Days". He just had a way of understanding and becoming his character in very believable and entertaining ways. I saw him on an interview show early in the "Happy Days" run, where he talked about the scene in the opening credits where he raises his hand while riding the motorcycle. He told how "Right about here I am crapping my pants in terror!" (I am sure he was exaggerating a bit?) He told how with the help of stage hands he got started and rolled about thirty feet before he lost control and hit something. But the segment was long enough and good enough to be used in the show's opening.

For me, I appreciate good story telling. Film history is another of my passions. I really enjoyed watching many of his other acting roles. I like a lot of his other characterizations much more than the Fonzy thing for which he became so well known. I felt some disappointment myself when he went into directing and producing, just knowing we would see less of his character portrayals. However, his natural talent directing and producing numerous films and tv work has entertained millions of people over the years. His occasional guest appearances on tv shows are still a treat. I have always enjoyed seeing him on tv talk shows (which I rarely ever watch!), when I have seen him on them.

There are very few modern era actors that I am impressed by in a positive sense. Most of them I think are spoiled brats or total idiots. But if I had a good opportunity to meet and visit with Henry Winkler? I would want to jump at the chance.

He was great in "Better Late Than Never". Just being himself.

16 hours ago, pkhammer said:

We were just at the Gilmore Auto Museum in Michigan a couple weeks ago where the silver Triumph is on display. The sign claimed that Henry Winkler was not an experienced rider and actually dropped and damaged the bike.

I was watching a video on youtube a few days ago and saw the same thing... As the FONZ would say: "Step into my office, Eyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy"!

On 10/2/2022 at 12:26 PM, pkhammer said:

On 10/2/2022 at 1:12 PM, wayne sheldon said:

I saw him on an interview show early in the "Happy Days" run, where he talked about the scene in the opening credits where he raises his hand while riding the motorcycle. He told how "Right about here I am crapping my pants in terror!" (I am sure he was exaggerating a bit?) He told how with the help of stage hands he got started and rolled about thirty feet before he lost control and hit something. But the segment was long enough and good enough to be used in the show's opening.

From the article posted in the first fourm post above:

"For Fonzie's regular ride, the classic '50s motorcycle brand Triumph was chosen. The Fonz spent his time straddling a 1949 Triumph TR5 Trophy. (And he really was just straddling it; Winkler didn't know how to ride a motorcycle and spent his time simply sitting on the Triumph as it was parked on a street-side, sat in the doorway of the diner, or towed along the road for scenes in which Fonzie was riding it)."

Aaaaeeeyyy, What Happened to Fonzie's Knucklehead? ~ Riding Vintage

Actor Henry Winkler poses with items from his collection that are going up for auction in Los Angeles.

Edited by Twisted Shifter (see edit history)

In the early episodes of the show he rode a Knucklehead Harley chopper. Later it was changed to that non descript Triumph. Initially he had a more fearsome personality. I think they watered down his personality and gave him a "milder" bike, to make his character more "acceptable" to the viewing public. Real bikers rode Harleys then, I did. 

Fonz01.jpg