Need '53 Eldo Conv moved from Nevada to PA in the next 2 weeks

Restorer32

6 minutes ago, rwchatham said:

That is always a huge time saver 👍 

Hopefully whoever was restoring it if they cut the windshield post off for re chroming they put it back on correctly . 

I was going to mention that.   Is the windshield frame bolted on, or do you have to cut it off & reweld it back on for chroming the little portion that shows by the vent window?

Edited by K8096 (see edit history)

Restorer32:

While you are proceeding through the restoration process, would you please take the time to photograph and show us how the custom body work was done to change the Series 62 shell into the Eldorado shell.   I recall examining a rough 1953 Eldorado at Hershey years ago where some of the lead work and other modifications could be seen.  Thanks.

Steve

17 minutes ago, K8096 said:

I was going to mention that.   Is the windshield frame bolted on, or do you have to cut it off & reweld it back on for chroming the little portion that shows by the vent window?

Each post is bolted on with 3 bolts and also brazed to the cowl , must be cut iff for re chroming and then brazed and bolted back in place .  A lot of the body mods were done with big hammers and lots of lead . The doors for example used the bottom half of a regular door and then a custom made top  section and then joined together . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rwchatham said:

Each post is bolted on with 3 bolts and also brazed to the cowl , must be cut iff for re chroming and then brazed and bolted back in place .  A lot of the body mods were done with big hammers and lots of lead . The doors for example used the bottom half of a regular door and then a custom made top  section and then joined together . 

I would be interested to see the cowl extensions they had to attach to each side to accommodate the wraparound windshield as well as how the vertical chromed support were done.  The tops of the doors where they had to fit closely to those wraparound windshield cowl extensions must have been a real chore to build.  GM prototype shops had some of the best metalworkers in the business then.  Come to think of it, compared to the complex metalwork on the Cadillac Eldorado and Olds 98 Fiesta wraparound windshield cowl and doors, the 'chopped' windshield on the Buick Roadmaster Skylarks must have been child's play.

9 hours ago, K8096 said:

Interesting.  At least with having the bolt holes on each side one can position it in the right place before re brazing it. 

The bolts have some  room to move to move so its not as simple as just bolt it in and good to go  , measurements before and after are vital . I have seen more than a few put back wrong where the windshield did not fit properly .