Animated GM (BUICK?) Service Sign Vintage?

Jolly_John

This large display sign just surfaced from among my goodies in storage. It's a 24" x 36" animated sign for "keeping that great GM feeling with Genuine GM parts", as you get your car serviced at your friendly GM dealer. The oil being poured out of the GM bottle is where the animation comes in. The little amber led bulbs light up in sequence to simulate oil flowing into the engine.

Because of the various logo graphics, I'm thinking this is an '80's vintage dealer sign. HOWEVER, I'd welcome thoughts about the possible timeframe this sign might have been used. 

Finally, what about that engine? I don't know my GM cars of this period well enough to know if this is a generic portrayal of a GM engine, OR if it is specific to one of GM's division (ala BUICK, CHEVY, OLDS, etc.). Thanks in advance for any help with my questions. John

499532140_018(797x900).jpg.c001cfc460629f6d4db08f991ef90a00.jpg

Edited by Jolly_John (see edit history)

Not an Olds V8; oil filter is on the wrong side. But it's on correct side for a Chevrolet engine. The "Fuel Injection" on the aircleaner suggests 1985 at earliest but I think 90s. Ribbed valve covers tell me Camaro or Corvette as do the remote oil filter/cooler fittings.

Or it may be an artist's generic rendering of a GM Corporate V8 engine. Or V6, hard to count plug wires on that left bank.

3 hours ago, SpecialEducation said:

Looks just like the original SBC in my ‘91 OCC. 

What's an OCC? I even Googled, no luck.

The "over" exhaust manifolds were through the mid 80s on certain models. My LT1 has "under" exhaust manifolds.

Looks like mid-'80s Chevy 305 from a car.  Although TBI was not available until 1987, seems like it was around on the smaller V-8 engine a few years earlier.  That "smaller V-8" that was standard in the Caprices that nobody knew about.  Pre-center bolt valve covers, which started in '86.  Don't recall that style of air cleaner, though.  That style of Chevy exhaust manifold was prevalent in the middle 1980s, too.  Might be better to date the oil bottle than the engine, as THAT is the focus of the ad.