More Leave it to Beaver vehicles

rocketraider

Never considered what a treasure trove of old cars LITB was until the last few years. S2 E15, 1959: a 57-58 Ford "Big Job" trash truck, a 1951 Ford sedan, and mention of a Rolls-Royce tow truck which wasn't seen. Ward's comment "must be twenty years old!"

I've heard of wreckers built on Rolls, Pierce and other powerful high-end chassis. Who knew they'd get a mention on a 1950s family sitcom, at a time they really weren't all that old, but were just used cars?

57 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

Never considered what a treasure trove of old cars LITB was until the last few years. S2 E15, 1959: a 57-58 Ford "Big Job" trash truck, a 1951 Ford sedan, and mention of a Rolls-Royce tow truck which wasn't seen. Ward's comment "must be twenty years old!"

I've heard of wreckers built on Rolls, Pierce and other powerful high-end chassis. Who knew they'd get a mention on a 1950s family sitcom, at a time they really weren't all that old, but were just used cars?

"The Beav" ran 57-63 when many of those cars were new or nearly so.  I had a low mileage 3-year-old 65 Mustang 2+2 with 289, auto and factory air.  Traded it without a thought 3 years later on a new car - it was "just a used car" then. 🤷‍♂️ If I'd only known!

I remember the episode when teenage Wally brought home a "junker" car and parked in the driveway, where he and his friends tried to work on it. Ward was not amused, and made Wally see the folly of the idea, and sensibly get rid of the car. If I recall correctly, it was an early flathead Ford coupe. LOL

1 hour ago, lump said:

I remember the episode when teenage Wally brought home a "junker" car and parked in the driveway, where he and his friends tried to work on it. Ward was not amused, and made Wally see the folly of the idea, and sensibly get rid of the car. If I recall correctly, it was an early flathead Ford coupe. LOL

It was a 36 Ford coupe. Ward told Wally to get rid of it. Wally and his friends tore it apart, then Wally got the idea of selling off the parts and made more money than he paid for it. All the while Ward didn't know what Wally had done and asked a junk man to take it away, but when the junk man came and found all the parts missing Ward would have to pay the junk man to haul it away, Wally comes home and sees what is happening and tells Ward what he did and the money he made so Ward takes some of the money to pay the junk man and Wally gets to keep the rest.  

image.jpeg.ee127ca30ac672f0aaad43ba5022137c.jpeg

>being pushed in the Cleavers driveway by Lumpy's 40 Ford image.jpeg.5ff6ac67800f23da0963d8812d28f95d.jpeg

Paying off the junk manCan you recall all the car trouble in the Cleaver household? Ward looking astounded!

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 8/31/2022 at 12:11 PM, 60FlatTop said:

That acronym just popped out and made me laugh. I must be watching the news too much.

That quote was part of rocketraider's original post - dunno how my name got on it but whatever.

On 8/30/2022 at 12:04 PM, rocketraider said:

were just used cars?

That is the exact truth- we collect used cars.  I spend years researching and then pen stories about used cars.  Most of them orphans whose companies faded from the scene decades ago.   We live in used houses, and a few years ago I started a thread on the AACA Forums that had old photographs of the used cars in use. Many of the cars not new when the photos were taken . Used then used now. 😊😇 But people -  "viewers" keep coming back and "lookin" to see more.

• Like 1