1964 Riv goes for $50K on BAT

bc65riv

nice car but restored and had several things not up to par like the rear trunk lining and cardboard, plus quite a comprehensive restoration, could see where the interior panels were dyed green from black and were rubbing off in places.  The worst is that someone changed the gauges to digital or what ever they do these days with gauges.  Just really affected the overall look of the car.

1 hour ago, dr914 said:

The worst is that someone changed the gauges to digital or what ever they do these days with gauges.  Just really affected the overall look of the car.

1st Gen Rivieras are blessed with round gauges. This makes it easy for products such as those from Dakota Digital to adapt into the instrument clusters after irreversible cutting. Impressive for a full custom but not for me.

I do not have a full custom as I want my Riv to reflect the period it was built with original speedo.

However, no matter how much I lube the speedo cable, the needle still has that annoying bounce below 35 MPH! The speedo hairspring the culprit?

John,

I've found that some of the speedo cables are too long by about 1/4". Cut either end, usually the speedo end, & retry. Then cut the other end IF no improvement.

I don't know IF you've reed about how I do the lubrication of the speedo cable. 

Do a search I'm sure you'll find it. It's not about just lubing but also cleanliness & the grease I use.

If you can't find it I'll go over it again for you.

Tom T.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, telriv said:

If you can't find it I'll go over it again for you.

Thanks to Mike S, I fast tracked to Tom's recommendation and pasted below.

Yes, all it takes is time and taking a shower after crawling in and out under my beast!

Image (on clean concrete driveway!) shows sections of plastic sleeve over the cable that's very brittle with age and might've been 1-piece originally. I left them out the last go-around. Plastic sleeve?

From Nov. 2nd, 2017:

I've come across some original '63's that bounced. Turns out the actual cable itself was too long by 1/4" & binding/twisting itself inside the outer cable. Cut the speedo end & all was good. 

When you get the cable out of the outer casing you need to spray carb. cleaner into the cable from the top. Run the cable through & spin in both directions with a cordless drill. Remove cable & wipe off. Now spray Brakleen into the cable & let dry. Spray the actual cable with Brakleen & wipe with a clean rag. Curl the cable up in your hand. DON'T let it touch anything as it MAY pick up debris.

I like using Kendall Super Blue Grease. Start wiping the cable with grease. NOT alot, just a coating also while treading the cable into the outer sheath. Continue on until the cable is coated approx. 3/4-7/8ths. in. With the cable NOT connected to the trans. try spinning it either by hand OR with a cordless drill to see IF there may be ANY binding in both directions. You should have already checked to make sure there are NO sharp turns in the outer cable ANYWHERE. IF ALL appears well hook both ends of the cable up & go for a road test. You may be surprised all is now well.

ALL it took was a little time & patience & didn't cost any $$$.

Speedo_Cable_4.JPG

2 hours ago, XframeFX said:

1st Gen Rivieras are blessed with round gauges. This makes it easy for products such as those from Dakota Digital to adapt into the instrument clusters after irreversible cutting. Impressive for a full custom but not for me.

I do not have a full custom as I want my Riv to reflect the period it was built with original speedo.

However, no matter how much I lube the speedo cable, the needle still has that annoying bounce below 35 MPH! The speedo hairspring the culprit?

I saw this some time ago. It’s from a ‘69 Chevelle SS. The tach sits nicely in the center of of the four “gauges”.  And, the amp, oil, and temp indicators are actual gauges, not idiot lights.  Too bad something like this cannot be retrofitted to our 1st generation Rivieras.

gauges-tachometer-w-gauges-1969-chevelle

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RivNut said:

Too bad something like this cannot be retrofitted to our 1st generation Rivieras.

I've seen a 63 Riviera 4-sale ad online where it had those gauges w/o a Tach. It appeared very OEM. This is even better with the Tach. I'd try to fit a '63 cone to the tach needle to match the speedo.

I wonder what diameter the Chevelle unit is?

Edited by XframeFX (see edit history)