1919 Dodge Brothers Touring Car

Just purchased a 1919 Dodge Brothers Touring Car and am in the process of cleaning it up and performing minor repairs (leaks/mouse droppings/etc...)  Can anyone tell me if 34x4 1/2 tires are stock and what were the color of the wooden wheels.  (Mine are a cream color with a black line down each spoke.  also, does anyone know where I can start to collect the roll and tools that came with them new?  I have the original engine crank and jack.  Thanks in advance for responses.

If you don't have a Book of Information you need one. Copies can be gotten from the AACA library from the DBC collection. All DBs at this time were black with blue wheels. The 34 X 4 1/2 sounds too big, I'd have to check. Tools can be bought on ebay, repro tool rolls can be gotten from either Myers or Romar. The manual shows a list of what size. If you join the DB club you will receive a roster which would list other members close to you or with 1919 cars for help.

• Like 1

Thanks for the response.  I do have the original book of info for the car, along w/a reproduced one.  Blue wheels/  Wow was not expecting that.  I have found the tool roll from Myers & the water pump wrench.  I had read someplace that the actual customers changed the wheels to get around on the uneven/rutted roads in the day.  That is maybe why my wheels are the color they are.  I am in the process of joining the Dodge Brothers Club.  Thanks Again.

• Like 1

34x4.5 will fit the same 25” wheel as a 33x4 that would, I believe, be correct for a 1919 (that is what is on my ‘15 and ‘16), so don’t write off your wheels as incorrect yet. Take a pic of one and post it, the guys here will be able to tell you in a heartbeat. A close up of one of the lugs holding the rim to the wheel will help as well. 

33x4 is available through all of the vintage tire suppliers. As of a few months ago none of them had brass stemmed tubes so you will be stuck with rubber stemmed. You want brass stemmed. 

34x4.5 won’t hurt anything if the condition of the tires is good enough to roll on and they don’t rub anywhere, it will just put a little more rubber on the road. 

As I understand it 1919 Dodge Brothers cars were originally fitted with 24 inch diameter wheels which had 33 x 4 tyres fitted.

25 inch wheels as fitted to earlier cars were fitted with 34 inch tyres.

The hubs while not quite identical in appearance are interchangeable so you can fit either the 25 inch or 24 inch.

As I understand it the spokes were painted originally.

Most cars have had modifications over the years.

I have had both my cars wheel spokes replaced one set 25’s (1917) and one set 24’s (1919) I like the wood to show so I used six coats of marine varnish.

2593B159-59E0-4819-B56A-2007DF26525D.jpeg.3a3a6d0545fb57b20ae2136f8c8558f3.jpeg

They look pretty good.

A9E68BDB-82B1-4223-941F-192B2C45B879.jpeg.e4dd2169375b94437c68fc95b5e4827d.jpeg

🤫

• Like 1

25" rims were used past 1920 with both wood a steel felloe types depending on the date the car was made. 1919 would have the 25" rim wood felloe Dodge wheels that used the wedge type loose lugs, the steel felloe not being introduced till early 1920. The 24" rim wheel came out sometime after 1920, I would have to check the Master Parts list.  

On 8/23/2022 at 8:30 AM, Minibago said:

As I understand it 1919 Dodge Brothers cars were originally fitted with 24 inch diameter wheels which had 33 x 4 tyres fitted.

25 inch wheels as fitted to earlier cars were fitted with 34 inch tyres.

The hubs while not quite identical in appearance are interchangeable so you can fit either the 25 inch or 24 inch.

As I understand it the spokes were painted originally.

Most cars have had modifications over the years.

I have had both my cars wheel spokes replaced one set 25’s (1917) and one set 24’s (1919) I like the wood to show so I used six coats of marine varnish.

2593B159-59E0-4819-B56A-2007DF26525D.jpeg.3a3a6d0545fb57b20ae2136f8c8558f3.jpeg

They look pretty good.

A9E68BDB-82B1-4223-941F-192B2C45B879.jpeg.e4dd2169375b94437c68fc95b5e4827d.jpeg

🤫

For the record, 33x4 is a 25” wheel size. As is: 34x4.5, 35x5, and 32x3.5. 

Edited by gossp (see edit history)

"Postal Blue", like the color of the spokes on my '22 touring car.  Postal Blue is a pretty stock color that most paint stores can mix for you.  IMHO Sherwin-Williams sells the best quality oil-based paint for brush-on use.  The other alternative would be to paint the wheel with automotive urethane.  The entire wheel, including the hub and felloe, was painted this color.  The different shade of blue that I painted my hubs and felloes is not correct and represents an over-restoration, if you care about that kind of thing.

New wheel.jpg

So, would the outer steel rim and lugs be painted black?  Center caps/hub caps would be natural aluminum color?  I am trying to keep it as close to original as possible.  Also, any idea where I might find the oil can bracket for under the driver side hood area?  Thanks so much for the info you are providing.  I am new to this forum and am gathering as much info as possible about this car.

I would venture to say that the rims should be cadmium-plated or the like, and the lugs were, I believe, black phosphate treated (i.e., first wire wheel or blast them clean, and then soak them for a long time in phosphoric acid, leaving the black coating on the lug).  Let's see if any of the other Brothers on the forum disagree with me, though. 

The rims were actually galvanized, looks a lot like cadmium. Clamps and nuts were too. Most paint them silver like the pictures above as either Cadmium or galvanize is very expensive. Hubs and fellows blue, actually DB blue by the book. The spokes above look very close to what most use. Kind of boring for lots of years.

Not to rain on your parade re judging: Looks like the car was given what I call an Ice Cream make over. The outside is nice, but not much done outside of, that going by that under the hood shot.  Not sure what class this car would fall under, don't know AACA's categories. Not putting anyone down that does that kinda thing, having cars judged, just not my cup of tea. 

May as well kick him in the nuts too. JUST Monday he posted he just bought the car, pretty damned nice looking too. This is exactly why the DBC does not have judging at any event. Myers and Romar both have engine paint in the correct color IF and WHEN you want it 1919. Covers real good and holds with the heat. I hope you can join us in New York finger lakes next summer for our International meet.

• 5 weeks later...

1919 Touring Your car looks great and makes a nice presentation to the public. I am not a fan of cream wheels since they should be Dodge Brothers Blue but what first struck me was the slanted windshield. However, research shows that was implemented at touring car # 364634 (July '19) so is correct for production figures. I am a historic correct advocate! LOL The year 1919 was a transition time where the body was 2" wider and the rear fenders were installed in notches in the body rather than the '15 - '18 where they were installed on curved angle irons fastened to the side of the body.  The slant windshield continued to 1923. Continue having FUN with your new acquisition and check out the Dodge Brothers Club  www.dodgebrothersclub.org

Thanks for that info.  I'm starting to get into the history as well.  Any idea how I would be able to have Dodge Bros. blue mixed to make the car correct?  My car is #368615.  I took mine to our AACA 50th Anniversary show this past week and it won the People's Choice Trophy.  Not a big deal to some, but not bad for my first outing.  Everyone seems to love the old Dodges!

• Like 2

Looks like it has at least one Canadian rim on it, right front. :) Oh, don't forget to post on the Model T forum in the off topic section. I am not the only one there with Dodge Brothers. Like it! 

• 2 months later...
On 9/27/2022 at 3:01 PM, 1919 Touring said:

Thanks for that info.  I'm starting to get into the history as well.  Any idea how I would be able to have Dodge Bros. blue mixed to make the car correct?  My car is #368615.  I took mine to our AACA 50th Anniversary show this past week and it won the People's Choice Trophy.  Not a big deal to some, but not bad for my first outing.  Everyone seems to love the old Dodges!

Guys, To start with wheel size is found by doubling the smaller number and subtracting from the larger number.; This is a universal calculation mechanism. So 2X4 = 8 and subtract 8 from 33 = 25. Simple HUH? So, a 33X4 size is 25". Now for the wheels and sizes thereof by year. And YES they were from the factory finished in a Dark Blue finish referred to in the Ditzler pint codes as Dodge Brothers Blue. Now for the wheels by year.

DB Wood Wheels.jpg