Nevada Lawmakers Are Cracking Down on Classic Plates for Cheap Cars

Not sure I agree with the classic insurance requirement, but otherwise it's a good idea.

I wish Virginia wasn't quite as lenient with their antique plates. But when the Commonwealth views them as a cheap-and-easy revenue stream, DMV issues them to any POS whose owner is willing to pony up.

###

It's been 15 years since the last attack on legitimate antique registrations in Virginia. The legislator who pushed it through is still serving in the House, and with upcoming redistricting I'm afraid I'll once again find myself represented (?) by him. But that may come in handy, one never knows.😈

• 2 weeks later...

Was the welder 25 years old?😉

• Haha 1

On 9/4/2022 at 2:09 PM, Frank DuVal said:

Was the welder 25 years old?😉

I think he was in his 40s, The Miller was maybe 4 years old.

The plates are for vehicles that are for personal limited use with a mileage cap of 5,000 miles, No commercial use.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Interesting..  When you have a classic car and drive it, you do have to choose if you will insure it as any other car you could drive any day (but probably expensive if you expect an agreed on value of the car) or you can get much less expensive antique auto insurance policy with agreed upon car value and 5,000 mile/year limitation (my Hagerty policy, for example).  The difference here, I think, is that people would register the car as a classic (with the not-enforced 5,000 mile limit), get 'regular' insurance and drive as an every day car.  The main benefit to this was being allowed to skip emissions test on a vehicle 20 or more years old.  I would assume the 'regular' insurance on a beater classic was something like the minimum allowed and the owner was not worried about car value if totaled.  For those people driving a beater classic and getting a pass on emissions, no more.  I have a hard time believing the number of cars involved would make any measureable difference in smog levels or make that much more money for the state.  Be that as it may, the new law would seem to have the effect of driving true beaters (post-1968) off the road as cost to repair to make emissions compliant will be uneconomical.  Maybe that's the real point.

Maybe the state is looking for more than just beaters. A classic car, or an antique car does deserve a special plate, emission test exemption and special insurance and I think everyone can agree to that and I think the state is on board with that. Using those cars for more than the antique insurance allows is a problem. Also, the first thing my insurance ask about my car is, is it modified? If it is, the insurance co will not grant insurance. Therefore, modified cars do not qualify for the insurance or the antique plates.

You can get insurance for a collector car, and collector cars can be modified, so I'm not sure there is a collector car lic. plate but I do know one thing, and that is a modified collector car should never be allowed to use a classic or antique lic. plate.

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have had Nevada collector plates for ten years or so. This year I had to go personally into the DMV to renew the plates, before it was done online.

They did not ask to look at the odometer but I had to put the mileage on the same form as the ones I sent in years before. The only difference was in the time waiting standing in line.

Only 2 counties in Nevada that requires a smog cert. I no longer live in one of them so I might get regular plates next year.