1949 Cadillac Convertible - The Huntsman

Hello Everyone, I'm new to AACA but have been following many of the builds going on through the forums for a while. I wanted to share the '49 project I've been working on. If anyone here is on the CLC forum, this might be familiar. 

About 5 years ago, I acquired a troubled '49 convertible in the deep western regions of Chicago. It came out of California and was more or less frankensteined together from a couple parts cars, but the frame and body were intact and numbers matching. I learnt a year or so in, that it was one of the last special order chartreuse models, which made for an interesting change in color and trim plans. 

This is my first real restoration, and its been quite an adventure. I have some great friends who have helped in areas I cannot master (body welding and paint are skills I eventually would love to gain, but need help at this time). I'll back fill some of the journey while I wait for the car to come out of the paint shop, there's a lot of ground to still cover.

There's a bit of a saga of the car being homeless a few times, riding a flatbed all over the city. I started working on it with a group of after school program mentors, and then a few friends starting their own shops. 

The_Beginning_01.jpeg

The_Beginning_02.jpeg

FirstLocation.JPG

FrontDissassembly.JPEG

Instrument_Panel_Removal.JPG

Instrument_Panel_Resto1.jpg

Hot_Mess.jpg

• Like 8

We got the car mostly taken apart, cleaning up the inner fenders and hoping to get the surfaces ready for bodywork. None of us knew the troubles that were lurking under the surface, however. To the untrained eye, I learnt the hard way that door fitment and rear fender wells could be the core challenge of a convertible project like this...

After the car had to escape to a friend's garage, where I tried planning for the future, reclaim lost parts and worked on smaller items - like restoring the gauge cluster - another friend was able to take the car into his shop (Greg of Speakeasy Customs) and help with the metal work - a deeper endeavor than we anticipated.

In the photos you'll see the structural damage that the car suffered, we spent months figuring out body bracing and lower rocker channels. I could go deep into details there, but essentially my lesson was that I should brace the car with cross bars immediately to set the doors correct. Then, rebuild the whole car underneath. The first location I had it, a volunteer welder decided it was structurally sound because of the rigid frame it sat upon. Long story short, the car was clam-shelling, pinching the doors. With bad hinges and an A pillar that was leaning inwards, the car was a structural mess. 

Thankfully, after almost a year of Greg trying to sort it out in his spare time, we got the doors to close properly. There were a few heretical fixes we made - one being to cut and weld the pillars straight - but essentially we had to stretch the car open. Its amazing how our dreams can get us into trouble...

Riding_the_Flatbed.jpg

Braces_driversSide.JPG

Braces_Passenger2.JPG

Greg_FittingDoor.JPEG

Bracing.JPG

SeparatedForBracing.JPG

NewBrace.JPG

• Like 15

A few more backdated reports - I'm at the point where I'm assembling the instrument panel now, but I've been digging the archives and remembering how far back this went. We started disassembling it in the mentoring program shop, and it provided a great lesson in refinishing for some of the students. Transporting it to the paint shop was entertaining, I've found running around with the top down in a Z3 to work well for carrying car parts.

At this time I also started the gauge cluster, which became a great winter project later on. It needed refreshed lettering and basically all the components repainted.

InstrumentPanel_Resto2.jpg

dissasembly (I wish i remembered where the glovebox hinge went...)

IP_Resto_02.JPG

My friend used the instrument panel as a small class for students to learn how to use wire wheels

IP_Resto_01.JPG

IP_Resto_04.JPG

IMG_7642.JPG

Cluster as it was pulled out

IMG_7645.JPG

The original cluster was quite crusty.. 

IMG_7667.JPG

IMG_7734.JPG

First time using a spray gun, thankfully on primer

IMG_7738.JPEG

Primed and ready to send to paint shop

IMG_7015.JPG

the IP getting painted in gloss black

IMG_3489.JPG

Not the best coverage but I did what had to be done... lol

Edited by 1949Huntsman (see edit history)
  • Like 4

"I learnt a year or so in, that it was one of the last special order chartreuse models, which made for an interesting change in color and trim plans." 

Greetings and welcome!  Do you have a color chip for the Huntsman?  I love the frame hanging from the rafters!  Good luck with your project!  You are off to a great start!  Greg

I've been collecting all the various body chrome and have been back and forth between the shop I'm working with near Midway airport. You never know if you're going to have to make another trip when you find some pieces needing a bit more help. They're great guys though, and the pieces are coming out great.

I spent a good deal of time hammering one of the rock guards, that was a lesson in patience and metal shaping...(haven't done that before)

ChromePartsBefore.JPEG

FenderPanelProgress.jpg

IMG_2612.JPEG

IMG_2614.JPEG

IMG_4151.JPEG

• Like 3

I know exactly what you're dealing with. I've been through all that myself and have one more trip to the chrome shop to get the last few pieces that I had chromed.However,my plater told me not to touch anything,that he would do any straightening needed. I agreed,since this is a long,weary process,especially if you don't have the proper tools needed for the job. I did straighten and polish my stainless molding and it turned out really good.

• Like 1

That's great to hear you were able to successfully straighten and polish stainless, I have a long piece of decklid trim that I need to fix next. Its been a bit daunting to think about because they're so thin, without the 'it can be refined in the chrome stage' to fall back on. Having done this piece myself, it was cool to learn how to do it, but I agree with your plater, if you have the chance to let them do it, its a good idea. haha.

The car has been painted this week! I should have posted a lot more leading up to this, but here's more or less an overview of this section of the past year.. I drove the car out of my friend's garage onto a flatbed last August 12, and then visited the fully painted body August 12 this year. Very cool in a symbolic way. True, it would have been nicer for things to have gone quicker, but when we all are working on the side (and met with all the body work gremlins this car had), I'm very thankful we got it done. There's plenty to talk about within this whole chapter (and reasons why it took a whole year) but that's all old history.

Next, onto delivery to my garage and all the next part of climbing this mountain! 

IMG_4637.JPEG.7dcf47b4ae27ab7635da3ef8b59778be.JPEG

By the way, the color is Chartreuse, I'll get into that in another post, but I discovered it was one of the limited run models for '49, a crazy color for that time period. More mid 50s than 40s. 

IMG_4612.JPEG.c77d00e88885f1b35a8c1d2b390ab2f1.JPEG

Watching_Me_Drive.JPEG.204bbaa7634e7150f293c2e8730196bc.JPEG

Here we are reminiscing over the day I drove the car, which was about July last summer. Its good to have a time to chill and reflect...

IMG_4619.JPEG.56e82a7c61bf6970628fcb71643d7bad.JPEG

How the car looks now, vs 6 months ago

IMG_9615.JPG.b03809f14a31762046b2f240e6bb3802.JPG

This photo was my New Year's gift from my painter friend, he got the whole car in sealer with decent gaps.

IMG_3612.jpeg.08c6ebade8b684fea08cc41c380c1f77.jpeg

...Until we started fitting the rear fenders... then it got crazy

IMG_8131.jpeg.74bb7eb5e375698d169e08c7f0c9b1fa.jpeg

Going further back in time, this is what it looked like when we started work on the body. The prep was supposed to take about 2 months before paint, but life got complicated.

Driving_ReadyforBody.jpeg.bb56d7815ba7042a58c49cd7027027db.jpeg

This is the car last summer when I drove it out of my friend's garage, to go to the paint shop.

Aug12_21_Delivery.jpg.44ace3f46d3d72147211bf60ffd53093.jpg

This was something I posted to my Instagram last August 12th. Little did I realize that photo would be my official time-stamp for this whole chapter lol

• Like 6

I am just viewing this for the first time ! WOW, great spirit to continue to save a really derelict car that now has found an enthusiastic and dedicated owner,

I so admire the fact that you had your car in a shop that had students use it as a place to learn how to use wire wheels!    PLAYING THE KNOWLEDGE FORWARD!!

This small part may generate interest enough to see those people at some point in time be the future generation of car restoration - even if in the tiniest way possible. 

If there is no place to learn even basic skills then they will disappear. . This is said from my own first hand experience. I taught art for 30+ years but it was a friend who worked with me at his house using his equipment to show me how to re-enamel car emblems 45+ years ago. He wouldn't do it unless I participated, another friend did the same when I remade the pins to hold the shutters top and bottom of a radiator shell for a 1931 Franklin on a lathe using stainless steel rod. Each end machined on his lathe - he did the first one and I did the rest - over 30 of them.  Hands on First Hand knowledge - nothing better.

Edited by Walt G
SPELLING ERROR CORRECTED (see edit history)
  • Like 6

Thanks! Its so exciting to get it to this stage. That's a great thing to hear, that a paint project could actually take longer than a year (I believe it, because of how much could go wrong). And Walt, yes! It has been so exciting to share the craft with young people (I myself have been benefitting this skill-share efforts too). Like your story, it really matters when someone cares and wants to take on the knowledge that's being shared with them. That's so cool you learned re-enameling, that is such a fascinating craft!

Re-enameling : worth learning. Not for the faint of heart in the respect that it takes a lot of patience.  The powder used has assorted co$ts levels, just for small amounts. PLUS all the colors melt ( ie fire) to fuse together at different temperatures. SO while one color is liquid and fused the other(s) may be sitting there still taking the amount of time they need. Well the one that melts the fastest will then loose quantity and 'flash off' because it got hot quicker. The more different colors you have the harder it gets to get it all to work.  The car badge pre WWII that I worked with and re enameld that was the hardest to do was British and had 7 colors! it was for the Brooklands Automobile Racing Club. Once all colors are restored you have to grind them all evenly flat.

Yes, it is a real challenge /learning experience and that is why it is difficult  to locate someone to restore these badges.

WG

Editing this so people can see the Brooklands badge here on the forums , not trying to stray from the topic but I have had several inquiries say "7 colors?" well maybe 8 if yo count the area around the letters. . The badge is pictured here on the forums under Badges in an October 14, 2020 post. I never want to re enamel /restore one of these ever again.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Wow! thats very cool, yea, someday that would be a cool thing to learn. Someday when I'm finished with this car hahah..

Update at the shop, the rear fender has now been assembled with welting and molding.

68227013881__BAA1E5CE-1333-45EA-A2A1-9B04A133332B.JPEG.da583fea5951bf746222a475a4330da8.JPEG

Its incredible to see the trim on the car, it makes such a difference to make it seem 'real'

68227015421__564DE05C-391B-4416-B64C-49D54CE81842.JPEG.587f5c534d3c0f6592494f20f59bee48.JPEG

My friend at the shop decided its best to handle this part of the moldings because bolting the fender on myself was going to be really intricate. Thankful for the help, and now I'm very motivated to put the rest on when it comes home...

IMG_4712.jpeg.88fcbb96c219b1dfa1eebefab0b85f2e.jpeg

Also, this deserved a ceremonious purchase of the namesake the paint comes from - I've told myself I wouldn't buy a bottle until the car was painted, and at long last I found its pretty much completely sold out across the country. What a wild timing.. but! miraculously there was one bottle in a shadowy corner of a liquor store downtown Chicago. Causes me to pause and get reflective...

IMG_4713.jpeg.0b3d7dd9240d29651a913fc3d007e568.jpeg

I could get way too deep with my weird poetic connections with this color.. but some of my artistic friends get it and have been fun to talk with lately.

• Like 7

Still waiting on the car to leave the shop. Unfortunately there are a few unfinished vehicles in the way. Hoping Monday to receive it, and then go full speed with working on the actual car.

I've been spending my free time creating (and updating) project lists. So far its going better than before. I keep reminding myself to remember the single task I decided to focus on, not the whole beast.

I'm also getting very distracted by forums. Reading everyone's adventures has been both inspiring and terrifying. This is great lol.

68253361138__7FAE0458-0AC3-471F-844E-23C31C1453AA.jpeg.9fa2dbb2fa5d52aba1f3022a77544444.jpeg

Here are my todo lists.

First I did the one on the left, in Notion, which is connected to my daily todo list. On the right is Trello, shared with a friend who's restoring his own cars. I'll compare platforms as I go along.

During my lunch break I hung out in my garage and picked at my tail light assembly. I have a kit to restore it, but can't figure out how to pull out the reflector. I got progress, but not complete.

IMG_4856.JPEG.57fa2e3b9f94338faa4695e892342a7a.JPEG

Small project - degrease and replace plastics

IMG_4857.JPEG.133a54924e5bba4f36b6ac42ba383ce4.JPEG

Reflector Extraction...

IMG_4858.JPEG.ebb88b1b59ebd036156105b9d385da05.JPEG

Does anyone have any tips on how to do this? I can't get the backing out. Might drill into it...

IMG_4860.JPEG.ccb2965695b27297615ab37edcc62b15.JPEG

the backside seems solid, which doesn't help to remove the plastic

Also.. I think I should replate this whole thing now. It seemed good enough at first, but now that I'm closer to it, it seems too rough to put on.

• Like 1

Small update. Further digging into this taillight reflector. The plastic piece seems to sit behind the outer rim, leading me to think the backing somehow has to come out.

IMG_4870.jpeg.bf289ceb270939012c2caffaad876503.jpeg

IMG_4871.jpeg.6c7182b977bbeac61a283e1f6b56794c.jpeg

I started to try tapping the backing with a hammer, but it wont budge. I might take a dremel to the inside to remove corrosion.

IMG_4872.jpeg.a370f0e628c19d26b8bf2947d90ac644.jpeg

In other news, all my bumper frames are ready to mount. All I need is the car now... 

Fingers crossed for Monday

• Like 2

The car has finally been released from the paint shop and is now in my garage (this feels like it took my entire 20s to get here...) but now the real work begins.

image.jpeg.cf0df9566b33c007767a725f1d680856.jpeg

IMG_4962.JPEG.b2602b2657c1d66e62e5a228a47e7b5c.JPEG

To christen it, I put the decklid badge on... seemed appropriate.

IMG_4978.JPEG.fbcbeaf3b12edd66f96ba87949822421.JPEG

Next I'm replacing the fuel tank... The old one got sealed improperly.

IMG_4980.JPEG.44fb150e796eeb5f25b1896fb1566be2.JPEG

Has anyone found a good way to seat these rubber grommets? Its extremely frustrating because they keep popping out.

IMG_4981.JPEG.2d4e2a57be579c1ea55fa7a0d5d5abe1.JPEG

I'm going to try putting soap on them so they slide easier. 

Well, I went back to it later tonight. 

2E3EE4AB-130C-4EA7-B227-6DCAA4369116.jpeg.1c46d25468234513bf33ec32d86679cd.jpeg

dish soap works wonders. Just poke it through with an interior tool (to keep from scratching) and slowly pull with pliers or fingers from the other side. Fingers are better bc they won’t rip the rubber.

83C38DA9-13A0-411B-BAB5-1F9AAF6B9CB9.jpeg.5dee582a76c94f9d2d4dd489478084fd.jpeg

love it when you can conquer something… little momentums to hopefully help keep going when it gets hard soon…

• Like 10

Swapped the Fuel tanks last night, but the new tank has a different thread than anything I could find for the filler fitting. Looking into that today

image.jpeg.933888a9a545bec64d585526248442a5.jpeg

Continued to work on the bumper last night. We ran into a fitment issue, which seems to be coming from the angle of the bracket. The bumper is shifted towards the left.. I'm going to put a shim in the bracket (where it bolts to the frame) to angle it towards the right. We'll see...

IMG_5075.JPEG.24101690c621d430acbdfbcc3b0189ba.JPEG\\

IMG_5077.JPEG.58c08a50b5bbc9262bd3f8e95f838f44.JPEG\

You can see how much its misaligned on the passenger side. It began to dig into the gasket, and then the body..

IMG_5078.JPEG.ebe2ce2cd0e2cee748844f6656fa6a5d.JPEG

It still makes a big difference on, although not completely in place.

• Like 8

Last weekend was an adventure. We held a "homecoming party" for the car, which was really fun. Its good to capitalize on your milestones, and bring other people into the journeys. Thankful for all the people who have been a part of this so far.\

However, before that, I struggled to swap the fuel tank, and was getting stressed that I wouldn't find the right fitment in time to drive the car out of the garage.

68323328500__260A7926-4B09-4B75-A429-A53BD93A303A.jpeg.1430f86c1f5cddba32b8e3a1e6c6882d.jpeg

I'm learning gas fittings the hard way, I think this is a reverse flare inside the new tank? The old one was the opposite. I couldn't find it in Home Depot, going to hunt online...

image.jpeg.562eb6442d33d5f1dc5ddb3f1a913e8e.jpeg

image.jpeg.2feb614dd0949dd20062a09f6c93a9e7.jpeg

We ended up finding a hole in the floor to pipe a small fuel line through. It was redneck, but works for now!

image.jpeg.60083bdc5cdf3eeffec98b72d77346e8.jpeg

On the way home from the hardware store, I spotted what I think could be the modern day equivalent to my car, which is always cool to ponder about. It needs to be as outrageous as a Cadillac, and insane as chartreuse.

image.jpeg.7a77c57d3d3eab18b47b952e54d2740b.jpeg

A green Continental GT could also fit the concept. Maybe Cadillac will come out with a "lime green dealer-special Lyriq?"

image.jpeg.6a1e5149f03d9a665f04c167a8608096.jpeg

Onto the party - it was really fun to share this with non-car and car-people. We had a mini car show with my friend's Grand Prix and Father's Willy's Jeep. (Jeep not pictured, it was delivering pizza)

image.jpeg.3078b6a2e843b624d61f295ecff9321c.jpeg

Back to work!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I started messing with the front fender trim - and then reached a snag. I can get one put on, but one of the spears seems to have warped during chrome, or just was warped to begin with?

image.jpeg.da7dc9bb1f1887700e6d59db47c04e2d.jpeg

After putting this piece on and tightening it as much as possible, it seems to be pulling away from the car at the back. Creating a "banana" shape...

844489426_IMG_5147copy.jpg.1cbf85e4f7fb15a35e970f3c2a94773d.jpg

Any ideas on how to straighten something like this or is it toast?

IMG_5221.jpeg.40d905a21651242a31c99796d34d6ae4.jpeg

backside - it was chromed recently, wondering if that warped it..

IMG_5222.jpeg.e27b2e40cf899671aa7bd56451320df2.jpeg

Here's the 'banana-ing" in side view, I'm contemplating finding a new one...

• Like 1

This may help with your fuel tank fitting: Group # 12.2570 Connector or Elbo, fuel pipes part # 137406 is connector  (* see Group # 25.0210 Connector, Inverted flare tube part # 137406)  fuel line to flexible tube

Bob

DEA21C61-05E9-4D12-B5D7-CA498F1D661F.jpeg

Edited by NailheadBob
Added photo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I think I got it! The fuel system is all connected and I tested it last night.

First, I found an inverted flare fitting that mimicked a copper line. Summit Racing had a 'clamp style' piece that seemed correct after all my research.

IMG_5240.JPEG.812bda63990a98f5c10b09d498ab9c87.JPEG

This is the fitting up close, the flared end is important. It creates a negative for what's inside the tank.

Capture.JPG.4efe89db503c0ab77a00c02443adb9ac.JPG

Here's the part in detail on Summit.

IMG_5241.JPEG.ca9dd9a7c6dae8f3b53c1009dce950eb.JPEG

It bolted in without any problems, very satisfying after last week's frustration.

IMG_5242.JPEG.a2bf1d55f792604bad093aadf4ac21e9.JPEG

Time for install...

IMG_5270.JPG.99e8a31449d82154dc5884fd04a003c9.JPG

I was entertained by the positions I needed to get it in place haha

IMG_5274.JPEG.e182feffe0bdf0580d5ec415e674353f.JPEG

IMG_5275.JPEG.290f24ce9dc52c8b764e3dacce92df5b.JPEG

Next I installed the filler tube, which requires the taillight to be installed - the bolt here helps hold it in place.

IMG_5276.JPEG.60856fd64ac86d7b1abb357be44be317.JPEG

Hoping I find the gaskets for this... I lost them somehow, but they may turn up.

IMG_5280.JPEG.4df6d839ba988e6025f5c02cc1d5bc0e.JPEG

Lastly, I got a gasket that adapts from a 2in to 1.5in. The filler tube is about 1.75in and my standard hose wasn't fitting the new tank. This was found at Menards among the PVC pipes.

IMG_5168.jpeg.c9422bdc0af16cb22a8f56ddd845806a.jpeg

Now it drives!   Onto the transmission next... Its leaking badly out of the tailshaft.

(Btw this shot was taken before putting the taillights in)

• Like 6

Great job you are doing on your project.

The best service manual for early Hydra-Matics is 1949 thru 1953 Pontiac Hydra-Matic repair manual, can easily be found on e-bay, also Weber State University has a 5 part series on YouTube, by Professor John Kelly, "Worlds first-mass produced automatic transmission" John Kelly does an excellent job in this video and he is actually working on a 1949 Cadillac Hydra-Matic transmission, the 1949 Cadillac engine and transmission were donated to the college.            EDIT: see: image.png.feb7ce354662077d7c28a462f4ad404f.png

Bob

0927A7F5-7779-422C-94A2-9B7756BE4F1D.jpeg

CD001819-C52F-487E-9C40-9CC25D61F2C8.jpeg

Edited by NailheadBob
Add photo (see edit history)

1 hour ago, 1949Huntsman said:

Lastly, I got a gasket that adapts from a 2in to 1.5in. The filler tube is about 1.75in and my standard hose wasn't fitting the new tank. This was found at Menards among the PVC pipes.

I'm not a safety cop, but that house drain hose adapter will be saturating in gas when the tank is full.  I can't believe it could be fuel proof and if it's not, it would soften up like jello and likely will start leaking or fail completely.  Buy another one and put it in a jar of gas to see what happens to be on the safe side, if you can't find proof that it is fuel proof. 

One option is to have a steel exhaust adapter welded to the filler pipe so that the correct fuel filler hose would fit.

4 hours ago, F&J said:

I'm not a safety cop, but that house drain hose adapter will be saturating in gas when the tank is full.  I can't believe it could be fuel proof and if it's not, it would soften up like jello and likely will start leaking or fail completely.  Buy another one and put it in a jar of gas to see what happens to be on the safe side, if you can't find proof that it is fuel proof. 

One option is to have a steel exhaust adapter welded to the filler pipe so that the correct fuel filler hose would fit.

Oh shoot, ok! Thanks for pointing that out. I'll run a test, but also will look into an alternative - like welding an adapter as mentioned. Thanks!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NailheadBob said:

Great job you are doing on your project.

The best service manual for early Hydra-Matics is 1949 thru 1953 Pontiac Hydra-Matic repair manual, can easily be found on e-bay, also Weber State University has a 5 part series on YouTube, by Professor John Kelly, "Worlds first-mass produced automatic transmission" John Kelly does an excellent job in this video and he is actually working on a 1949 Cadillac Hydra-Matic transmission, the 1949 Cadillac engine and transmission were donated to the college.            EDIT: see: image.png.feb7ce354662077d7c28a462f4ad404f.png

Bob

0927A7F5-7779-422C-94A2-9B7756BE4F1D.jpeg

CD001819-C52F-487E-9C40-9CC25D61F2C8.jpeg

Thanks Bob for sharing this! I located a manual on ebay, I'll also dig into these diagrams. I'm considering sending the car to a transmission shop in Chicago that handles older vehicles, but they may need parts ready, so this is helpful

On 9/1/2022 at 10:22 AM, F&J said:

Also look into silicone hose products used with turbochargers, etc. I don't think that gas would affect them but...NOT SURE.

I got a bit done over the labor day weekend, although it never goes as far as you think! (learning to take my time). I've been mocking up interior trim which has been motivating.

image.jpeg.ae03fe0ea66ae218accd865c68a3bb0e.jpeg

First off, I went into the rear bumper, to get it aligned. I used three washers as shims at the back of the brackets to shift it to the right side of the car. 

image.jpeg.af8a134099b161ca6d004bf6d62a5d1e.jpegimage.jpeg.40c14fd58a27190240f21940f1eb54ce.jpeg

Things were going well in the sun with my friend keenly observing the progress.

image.jpeg.e0621b2898a59481eefcba3c5204aca4.jpeg

However, as I got the momentum going, disaster struck... the rear bumper started turning inwards into the car and marked up the fins on both sides. I'll have to practice my paint-chip-recovery skills later.

506322862_IMG_5328(1).jpeg.7b168f9f89793f0ae83a57acf6840f46.jpeg

I promptly walked away and texted a few friends to calm down... These bumper gaskets are a pain to figure out, and I'll have to revisit the alignment later.

image.jpeg.879d3ed972962bf177a42f331b53bd4d.jpeg

I've got the rear on as best I could humanly possible with my current skills. I'm sure this can be revisited...

image.jpeg.ca54d8f1ec6c8b66502963ac4caabafd.jpeg

I then got the car out and did about a 100-point turn to get it spun around and backed into the garage so I could work on the front. Amazingly it had enough gas and trans fluid to just get inside until it died. I'll be messing with the fuel tube and transmission again soon. I've got some wiring and dashboard goals next. (part of my scheme to drive it to the transmission shop)

image.png.311de615d7dd18f130844648b6f24ba0.png

Once it was spun around, I had some friends over for a garage night. I stupidly didn't take a picture of the interesting alignment challenge I had, but this pic my friend took shows how far off the LH fender is to the front valance. I figured out that if I bolt on the valance to the radiator shell, it can create a solid spot to pull the fender sheet metal into place with the valance bolts. Basically, as I bolted the valance together, it pulled the fender into alignment. I was so happy with solving that mystery....

image.jpeg.eb41276beec52687b0ea8afbba8d0f2b.jpeg

After that, I went onto the front bumper, which was thankfully way less intricate than the rear - no stupid gasket to fight into alignment. 

image.jpeg.d5e53cf3add697e99337b8aabe73260c.jpeg

After that I started preparing myself to install the innards behind the dashboard. My goal this week is to get the dashboard on so I can clear room for family staying over. (its currently occupying a guest bed...) But in order to do that I have to figure out how to teardown the wiper transmissions so I can fit them through the firewall... Looking into the manual later.

image.jpeg.c14c536089b955598db4ce378d6078ee.jpeg

I got the wiper motor mounted (not sure if it works yet) by climbing into the engine bay. I'm not really sure how people work on these huge cars. I'm used to smaller European cars so the volume to overcome is quite interesting. I also detached all the wires to the motor so that I can reset them in the sheathing I have.

image.jpeg.ce3f33e66b8445f5edc66c612a33ff2f.jpeg

image.jpeg.3efbba2f60a669dde356dc078449c618.jpeg

After judging at the CLC grand national, I realize how cool it would be to have a period correct, Rhode Island harness... but I'm not exactly running with a collector budget on this build. So, my strategy is to run the painless kit I have through the unseen parts (like the body) and then come back at the engine bay when I have a better cashflow. I've ordered black sheathing for the engine bay for now. Currently I'm still learning where everything goes. Stay tuned for more..

• Like 5

Next - Wiper Installation (on the list to do before mounting the dashboard)

image.jpeg.1fd905751180feac4143f422218965a6.jpeg

The dog seems to be finding new spots to hang out while I'm working.

I found a gear puller that would get the small burr off the end of the wiper transmission. Not sure if other cars have this style of wiper, but it requires pulling that burr (kind of like a cap) off in order to fit it through the firewall.

image.jpeg.c4ba1fcba223ba75392400251808be42.jpeg

image.jpeg.3b6c8d66a82eaf7ef946ff9518f1bf10.jpeg

image.jpeg.a866fff5b067c8c2ab70efd5edffed01.jpeg

After mounting the transmissions, I'm working on connecting the cables to the pulleys at the firewall -

image.jpeg.a38c304a4bf8f7f20d88c586209356ec.jpeg

I'm starting to wrap my head around how these work... These pulleys (tensioner assemblies) are ratcheting inwards - which means they have to be facing towards the middle of the car - my passenger side one needs to be swapped so it can pivot (this lets the cable release tension in order to seat in the center arm)

Here's a shot from the manual

image.jpeg.c3d2ec7b1aae1580bd386315826af692.jpeg

I'll be messing with it more tonight. Planning on getting a better photo of how it operates. (If my hypothesis is correct)

image.jpeg.4f08093cfb0993a8ec09672f9eec0466.jpeg

(tensioner assembly/pulley to go on the passenger side. this one doesn't match the diagram in the manual, but it ratchets in the right direction)

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

So, I've gone off-grid most of the Fall and Winter. Apologies. The reporting has been fun, but life was getting a bit overwhelming. Since my last post, multiple milestones have been crossed, and some backwards steps have been made.

For the exciting bits - The car drove around the block! Barely. Below are some photos of its maiden voyage, and some photos of its moments stalled out (sideways) in my one-block adventure. The transmission is still leaking profusely, so I concluded that each time the engine seizes, its because the fluid is too low. Needless to say, I haven't driven it except for a few short trailering moments...

image.jpeg.08a39e182f9f052220338dbecbc51c4b.jpeg

Here hopes were still high as it exited the garage..

image.jpeg.8ca6222877bf8b46b9de11e711472a54.jpeg

Mostly disbelief that it moves

And then it stalled...

image.jpeg.41f4e7ec7a7042e22e5ef8328aa13f6a.jpegimage.jpeg.489dae88df7f44eff870f1636c30bb2e.jpeg

This time it was due to the battery, because my alternator wasn't hooked up properly

image.jpeg.f9ff382230b668c4f774ae84d74337b8.jpeg

We got it back inside and inspected the leakage

image.jpeg.101367ebed60e1f19e4de6ee5e4abfa7.jpeg

Nothing new, but just a reminder I need to get it fixed...

On its next journey (this was where I went around the block, mostly to test if the Trans could shift into 4th gear)

image.jpeg.74c28752e3aed2e97d48efe0a45f8b2c.jpeg

It only got 40 ft before the first stall, but more trans fluid remedied it for the next try..

image.jpeg.0b7f73ab37a5b611d6835d3ac24e4aff.jpeg

Note the leaking fluid and awkward position it died in...

At this point, I concluded that I need to redo my wiring, as well as resolve the trans.

I've since ordered a new harness (from YnZ) and have a transmission shop I'm planning to take it to, these are two things in May that I'm finally able to do.

Other things done over the winter were the construction of my interior parts. The rear quarters were gone, so I've been working on reconstructing them. 

image.png.09e33b4ebd7cdcf8bed1b626edb8476b.png

Using a 3D scan, I built an arm-rest/rear quarter with a cabinet inside. The intent was to 3D print the whole thing, CNC milling a few other parts.

image.jpeg.c1e166305a80e52dbd87b8d986348341.jpeg

It was a bit of an adventure, and I've learned how complicated interior parts can be... but here is the finished model!

image.jpeg.57a8a1d8cc4c3ad4d9cb44611e2091ac.jpeg

The exploded view/breakdown of parts

image.jpeg.7809716998918051a43579fb4b8b90ba.jpeg

Test fitting...

image.jpeg.f8ad7084ce934aa77e528df77a5db68b.jpeg

More test fitting...

image.jpeg.52cb4a2943794b40f21529a275917612.jpeg

Here is the whole thing mocked up with a rough door card

This is around February, since then I've revised the part and sent the car to the interior shop. More on that in my next post...

• Like 8