Restoration space options: which would you choose?

zdillinger

19 hours ago, marcapra said:

This might be a big job, but maybe you can have it insulated, walls and ceiling, and pave the floor with cement?  then, install some kind of heater in there, or furnace.  

Agree, one needs a shop prior to getting the project.

Space is a major problem for me , I currently have 3 cars in friends / family garages and pressure from their wives to move them , going to move my wife’s car to the road while I try to dispose of one , then reshuffle

so when I read the above posts talking about barns etc I say If only  😁

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 7/23/2022 at 8:59 PM, zdillinger said:

I want to say thanks to everyone who responded to my question. I went ahead and did a little work to the barn space. Model T Ford for scale, and the mower will obviously be stored somewhere else. I knocked together some light supports and ordered 4 48" LED lights to hang. On the ground, I put an old piece of carpeting that I pulled out of our house when I refinished my dining room floor. 

So, its a start. The Pontiac won't be here until next week at the earliest, so I still have some time to tinker with the space. If nothing else, it got me off my butt and made me clean up out there and get rid of some clutter. 

20220723_201416.jpg

Good for you. Clean up, throw out and restore! I hope your project brings you a lot of joy!

On 7/24/2022 at 9:38 AM, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

YEAH!   With the loose change in your pocket? LOL

Ben

When I built my barn in 2001, I would’ve bet my Lasalle that I was never gonna be here in Western Mass after the first leaf fell. I lived and worked in the Caribbean...why would any one live in the cold? So I never thought of laying radiant heating in the floor before the cement or insulating the barn. 17 years, 12 hurricanes and one destroyed yacht later I found myself too tired to start over yet again. So here I am “on the beach” in snow country. 
 I searched marketplace and kept grabbing insulation & plywood whenever it was offered. Only took 1 year and a little over $100 and my walls and ceiling are fully insulated and covered. Once Loyds finally paid off a year later, all the “trinkets” were added.

If there’s a bit of a treasure hunter in you, it can be done inexpensively.

• Like 1

One last addition. This past Fall while turning our rickety pourch into a sun room, I came across QuietWarmth radiant heating mats. Found them cheapest at Home Depot. $109 for a 3’ x 10’ x as thin as a credit card!!!! Comes rolled up in a box. In 120V or 240V. You can cut them to length, not width, and wire several together to one or more thermostats. They burn only 12 watts per square foot per hour!!! Can be placed under tile, cement, planks, plywood and carpet. I did my 8x17 sun room with it and put wide pine over it. Talk about nice to have warm wood floors in a glass room when it’s snowing outside!

I took the cutoffs and wired them together to make a runner for working alongside my boat project.

(note: I have no association with the company in any way...just love the stuff)

Edited by yachtflame (see edit history)

Looks great! Not sure what the issue was, thats a great space the car is sitting in. As for climate, a good pair of carharts for the winter, and a big shop fan in the summer and youre good to go. If it gets too cold/hot after that, take the afternoon off.

• Like 1

I find that in spots like this it is all the assorted wildlife that make your shed their home that is the biggest problem.  Pretty much impossible to make a unpaved floor building rodent free , in my area at least. It suprised me, but rats are very good diggers.  And mice seem to be able to get through through holes, gaps that you would think are impossible. 

I spent years tracking down and repairing gaps in the basement of my old farm house.  I have it repaired to the point that only shrews can still get in . It must be a very tiny hole, they are extremely small animals.  My wifes cats make short work of them.

https://ibis.geog.ubc.ca/biodiversity/efauna/NatureNotesVolesandShrews.html#:~:text=The Vagrant Shrew is likely,the clock%2C all year long.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)