1941 Buick Roadmaster Sedan - $29K and looks it!

https://reno.craigslist.org/cto/d/gardnerville-1941-buick-roadmaster-sedan/7507237098.html

Buick Series 71 Roadmaster Sedan.
I have owned the Buick Roadmaster sedan since 2016. It’s a beautiful car, but now it is time to let it go.
The previous owner bought the car in the 70’s and then began collecting parts at swap meets for the car’s restoration. The car received a total frame-off restoration in 1993 – 94 at Adams Custom Engines in Reno, NV. Everything was done to bring the Roadmaster back to its like-new showroom condition. The bottom of the car looks as good as the top. I have receipts for over $60,000 for the cost of the restoration. The car still looks great today. The paint color is Rainier Blue, a very dark shade of blue. It is often mistaken for black.
I have boxes of spare parts that will go along with the purchase of the car. Also, I will include owner’s and shop manuals that are specific to the 1941 Buick year model.
The Buick is all stock except for the wide whitewall radial tires, a 1949 320 cu. in. engine with insert main and rod bearings. The 1949 Buick engine is now setup with two primary Stromberg carburetors connected with dual linkage, the stock progressive linkage is discontinued. Also, a remote battery disconnect, and a back-up electric fuel pump have been added. Everything works like it should except for the radio and clock.
The car is in Gardnerville, Nevada. Call Vic, if you are interested... (775) 691-8295

100M0M_bqsWnV82YEbz_0kE0fu_600x450.jpg01212_hPjxeGBvYymz_0kE0fu_600x450.jpg00L0L_k3XWfUl7T0pz_0kE0fu_600x450.jpg00z0z_8BJMocrabI0z_0kE0fu_600x450.jpg00T0T_jzGCnTImincz_0kE0fu_600x450.jpg00R0R_kGwTfmLavBez_0kE0fu_600x450.jpg

• Like 4

It's too bad that some things weren't done correctly on such a major restoration -- the dash should be wood-grained, for example, and it's a bit hard to tell what's going on with the color and texture of the interior fabric.  The mechanical modifications wouldn't bother me -- the newer engine and different carb set-up probably make for a better driving car.  The tire choice is very unfortunate as far as looks, but I'm sure it drives better on the radials.  But I think this is going to be a tough sell at the asking price.  I don't question that at least $60K was spent as claimed, but I'm not sure what the market is for this type of "slightly-modified" car -- it's not "modern" enough to appeal to someone looking for a "restomod," and it's got too many incorrect things to appeal to someone who's looking for a correctly restored car.  (Plus, for $29K I would like a working radio and clock! 😄)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, neil morse said:

t's too bad that some things weren't done correctly on such a major restoration

I'm sure your assessment is spot on but looking at this car it's hard to find fault except maybe the price. The insides look warm and welcoming along with comfortable. The exterior is a wonderful color. Anything done to make the car more drivable without detracting from it's appearance is a plus for me. I'm not a purist so I find this car very appealing. . 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Fossil said:

but looking at this car it's hard to find fault except maybe the price.

Ah yes, that's often the problem, isn't it?  I don't think I'm a purist, but I sense that I'm a bit more concerned with a car at least looking correct than perhaps you are.  I completely agree that the interior looks welcoming and comfortable.  I think the dash color is a great choice and goes well with the lovely exterior color.  Discussions about cars in this price range are just a fantasy for me anyway, but I guess my feeling is for that kind of money I would like something more correct.  I bet this car is a joy to drive and would make a great tour car.  The only thing that I absolutely couldn't live with is the tires -- they don't even seem to be close to the correct diameter.  It just doesn't look right.  Put a correct set of B.F. Goodrich Silvertowns on there and it would look fabulous.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My Dad's first car was a '41 Special.  When I was a kid, he mentioned what a beautiful dashboard it had and how much nicer it was than what the late '40s Buicks had.  When we would attend car shows, we noticed quite a few with a painted dashboard.  I found an unrestored '41 coupe about 10 years ago in Flint being sold by the second owner.  I talked to the owner and was interested even though I already had several cars.  I showed Dad the photos and he asked why I'd want something that old!  I'd still like to own one.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

Thanks Jim & Neil I stand corrected. I thought you meant the engine turned areas not the shell.  

In this case that was a “bad” go cheap route compromise.  Woodgraining experts exist and there are do it yourself guides.  

I agree -- why not do it right?  However, before some nit picker posts this, I will say that the dash shell was solid body color on convertibles, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if you could special order a closed car with a solid color dash shell instead of wood grained.

• Like 2