Need help on disassembly of 1925 KISSEL headlight

DBKissel

I have a 1925 KISSEL Speedster and find a need to open the headlight assembly for R&R with the mount [and to change bulbs sometime].  Since damaging it is out of the question, I'm hoping someone has seen this before and knows what the retaining system is for the bezels.  A similar style side light on this car has fine threaded bezels that are nearly impossible to get off due to years of corrosion.  I hope this is NOT the same system.  On the front of the lens it says TOP and under that NO-TILT.  At the bottom it says HOLOPHANE  under that is USA.  Kindly advise what you know or give opinions.  Thx!

1925 Kissel Speedster cropped.jpg

Headlight dia.jpg

Headlight thickness.jpg

IMG_2277_resize.JPG

IMG_2278_resize.JPG

Rear view of H light.jpg

IMG_2280_resize.JPG

Those look very similar to the ones Moon used. In their case, there are three soldered on tabs that both locate the lens and lock into slots on the rim of the bucket. The Moon's bezel twists counterclockwise about 2 inches at the circumference.

To all-  Another KISSEL Owner recognized this as a not original part, but also found one on eBAY 144261611776 with many PIX and details.  Excellent!  Ryan and Oldford, you both were on the correct path.  I'll shoot some PIX after I have it apart. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DBKissel said:

Thx Ryan,  that's a start.  Applying penetrating oil is being considered, but at a possible cost to the paint.  Maybe a slight amount then wipe off any surface residual might be OK.   Just thinking out loud.

1 hour ago, 28 Chrysler said:

Your lights may have 3 hooks that are shaped like a sideways #7. Turn the headlight ring counterclockwise about 1/8 turn. You bay have to go back and forth, a strap may help.

Light oil like 3in1 or even WD-40 will not hurt the paint. also with most bezel clips you need to push in a bit while turning CCW.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, K8096 said:

How’s Pete Heller’s old car doing?   I remember this car when it was in NE Ohio in the 1990s.  

Hey K8096,

Pete Heller had two Kissel Gold Bug speedsters in the 2000’s I believe. One, a 1927 Kissel 8-65 now is owned by a collector here in Michigan. He drives it a lot. The other was a 1921 model 6-45 Gold bug. I have pictures of it on my website with Peter. His son Andrew now has it and had it professionally restored. It won the Pebble Beach Concours several years ago. Google “1921 Kissel Gold Bug” to see pictures.

Thanks, Ron Hausmann P.E.

To all-

I just got my nylon strap wrench from Amazon and gave it a try- success!   I added a few pieces of rubber electrical tape for friction on the bezel [and to protect the bezel where the wrench was].  Very easy with the right tools and support from guys like you- Thx again.  DougIMG_1360.JPG.235621e29abcc4b9b5fa3b819e240290.JPG 

IMG_1361.JPG

IMG_1358.JPG

IMG_1359.JPG

• Like 3