1922 STUDEBAKER $8,300 Looks nice!

Scant information, but MIGHT be a lot of fun for the money, especially if you like red!

I've never heard of a valve adjustment keeping a car from starting....  

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/rancho-cordova-studebaker-sedan-look/7505163083.html

1922 STUDEBAKER -6 CILINDER - 100% COMPLETE CAR-- OLDER PAINT - NO RUST--NICE CLEAN INTERIOR--STEEL RIMS---NEEDS REGULAR VALVE ADJUSTMENT MAINTENANCE--- NEEDS A LITTLE WORK TO GET RUNNING -HAS CLEAN TITLE-------------100 YR OLD CAR !------ 8,300/ OFFER -- 916-631-9407

00l0l_5Oa3ZbDCaTz_04Q06s_600x450.jpg00M0M_ljzUTlzANfdz_04Q06s_600x450.jpg00505_g6wHJmIbmHfz_04Q06s_600x450.jpg00X0X_6zyesDV7PUqz_04Q06s_600x450.jpg1

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

My thoughts exactly and that was before scrolling down to see Grimy's response, LOL. Looks like a decent car, maybe a can of black spray paint to tone down the interior though!

Two great minds in the same gutter!  🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

We don't know what the color should be.  But since

that era is distant to collectors today, do we know

for sure that a company didn't offer a red interior in

a closed car?  So much of history is forgotten.

I often wonder about that myself. I have seen Victorian furniture with remnants of original upholstery in bright reds. However, I have never, out of probably fifty to a hundred nice original automobile interiors I have seen? Never has one been so red. Some really interesting many color stripes I have seen in very high end enclosed cars of the 1910s and early 1920s. A 1925 Stearns Knight a good friend had years ago had one of the most incredible interiors I ever saw! BOLD light and dark brown stripes! Beautiful! Mohair prints, embroidered cords, amazing some of the workmanship and colors that went into some cars.

And of course, looking at fabrics after a half century or more of exposure can alter our perception of them. My 1927 Paige's interior (way beyond preservation!) appears a medium brown. However, look behind the handle escutcheons, and a rich burgundy color can be found!

I see quite a bit of "bordello red" interiors in restored cars. Frankly, I think that is strictly a modern touch. Usually the fabric is little or nothing like original era fabrics. I have never (yet?) seen anything indicating that sort of red cloth interior in cars of the 1910s or 1920s.

When I see something like this? My first thought is to wonder aloud whether "a few cans of spray die would help?"

• Like 3

6 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

And of course, looking at fabrics after a half century or more of exposure can alter our perception of them. My 1927 Paige's interior (way beyond preservation!) appears a medium brown. However, look behind the handle escutcheons, and a rich burgundy color can be found!

Original cars are troves of history!

In the 1950's and 1960's, when cars like this 1922 Studebaker

were mainstream in the hobby, people were a lot closer to the

1910's and 1920's.  Many people remembered those years,

and I believe there were many original cars still around to see.

A man (deceased) in our region had a 1906 Cadillac which had been

in his family since new.  It was original but rough.  The pinstriping

on the wheels and frame was very elaborate, and in recent years'

judging, the judges didn't think it was authentic.  He had 

original pictures to prove it!

1906 Cadillac at Swigart meet Aug 8 2009--Cropped.jpg

• Like 3

Pinstripe on early cars is a really difficult thing to authenticate. Most manufacturers in the early days hired artist/painters to do the pinstriping. Most pinstripers had their own touches, as well as how much time they would spend on a given car depended upon how busy they were at that time that day. I have a few good friends with one cylinder Cadillacs. About twenty years ago, they were collaborating on the restoration of a couple cars (1905s if I recall correctly?). They were working on two same year and model cars, both with remnants of the original pinstripe, and they had very good photos from a couple previous restorations showing those cars' pinstripes. No two were exactly alike!

Even early brass era model T Fords were not consistent. Era photos showing the pinstripes on them tend to be difficult to see much of the striping. Original era factory records indicate things like the hood be striped in a certain way. However, era photos sometimes show things done differently! How the panels of the hood were boxed, whether or not the lower part of the body below the seats were striped or not? Photos and records do not always agree.

Pinstripes were a carryover from the grandeur and artistry of the Victorian era. In the early days of the automobile, customers expected it, so manufacturers (even notoriously cheap Henry Ford!) provided it.

• Like 1

Okay! I went and looked at this car today! First right up front, The interior in person DOES NOT look as bad in person as it does in these photos! It is still a bit too red, and the material is not the right thing, but it isn't that bad. I don't recognize the material from anything specific. It could be something of a wide wale corduroy or other Bedford type material?

The car isn't running right now, but was running a couple years ago, but the gasoline in the tank smells terrible! They had tried to start it, but I doubt they did any harm. It wouldn't fire. There was speculation about valve adjustment being needed (easy to get to on these engines), however I suspect it really needs a good carburetor cleaning (looks like it needs it!). The vacuum tank is there, but bypassed and the carburetor fed by a typical electric pump, filter, and supposedly regulator (I didn't see it but didn't really look either). He said the starter turned it over nicely, however the fellow he bought it from kept the battery, so there isn't one with it now.

I couldn't decide about the radiator? Whether it is a re-core or a really nice looking original? However it has been converted to a pressure system, with an overflow tank alongside the engine. I have known people to do that on 1920s automobiles, and sometimes they do help? Love them or hate them, I am just pointing it out.

We all know that there are no guarantees with antique automobiles? In spite of not being able to check it out more thoroughly? I got the feeling that it may be brought back more easily than most.

Overall, it is an older restoration that looks like it was really sharp a couple decades ago. It still looks good with a few relatively minor dings in the fenders (most look like they could be fixed up real nice in an hour or two (each?). There are some minor issues where these type sedans usually absorb wax around seams (a bit of detailing would make it really sharp!). I of course couldn't actually check out the wood structure. However the body seems really solid and all four doors close like a bank vault! Minor flaws aside, it is a sharp looking car!

The front bumper is chrome plated, and not correctly installed. If I got it, I would probably remove the bumper, it is an after-market accessory anyway. I couldn't quickly see what was wrong about the brackets, except that the bumper is way too low, and they may have been for some other car (mounting kits varied a lot!). Maybe flipping some pieces around could make it work better?

The downside. I am six foot even, and should lose about thirty pounds. I do fit behind the wheel, however it is a bit tight. The biggest issue would probably be my size twelve gunboats in and out the driver's door (again, doable, but a bit tricky). The 1925 Studebaker standard model two-door sedan (coach, had a much bigger door!) I had years ago had considerably more room in the driver's seat.

I am considering it. The fellow seems very nice and is a car guy. He also seems very honest and fair minded. He quickly says he is not a mechanic! And talking with him I suspect he is right?

The price is right for the right person. Probably the best bargain I have seen in this gray area (not currently running older restorations) in a few years? 

I like it! And as I say, I think the price is right. However, I am leaning that it isn't quite the right car for me at this time? (Close but no cigar?)

So if someone is interested? Take everything I say with a grain of salt, and seriously consider this one. (And, please, get rid of those tassels on the rear curtains!)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I see it now says "posting deleted by author"....hope it finds a good home. Thanks for that good info Wayne! 

>>>I take that back....they fellow posted on many different Craigslist sites (Bay Area. LA etc) and some are still up. Who knows....

Edited by Leif in Calif
new info (see edit history)

He told me he was thinking of putting it on ebay. I told him that as much as I liked the car, I probably wasn't going to be the buyer for it. I then told him that he likely could get more for it on ebay than I would be willing to pay for it. So my guess is that he is moving that direction. I do think it is a pretty good buy and has great potential to be a worthwhile and enjoyable car! 

I really like the car (although I do wish the interior was a little less RED), and would be proud to show up with it on almost any appropriate vintage car activity! It would be wonderful and get a lot of attention on nickel era tours! There were just a couple things that made it just not the right "fit" for me at this time. Me fitting in was marginal being one of them.

Edited by wayne sheldon
I hate leaving typos! (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Price reduced! Now $7,700. Seems that unlike some others, he really does want to sell. I think situations like this are what the young people call "triggers" ...they set off an emotional response and can cause you to go in the garage with a tape measure....

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/rancho-cordova-antique-classic-years/7507556648.html