Chicago's Motor Row

NailheadBob

This book recently came out, Images of America series, Chicago's Motor Row ISBN # 978-4671-0762-4, opened it's first dealership in 1905, I checked this out at our library today, have been waiting for 2 months as it was on library hold, they just contacted me that is was ready for pick up.

Images of America series also has another book "Blue Island's Raceway Park"  Illinois.

I think both books are pretty cool.

Bob

Edit: Sorry for photos sideways.

9779FDFB-EA38-43B5-B21D-A371996F8555.jpeg

AA8A43B3-A645-4D2D-9D76-57E2BEBA4777.jpeg

Edited by NailheadBob
Add pics (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Great to see another automotive title has appeared. Most major cities prior to WWII in the transition period from horse drawn carriages to motor carriages during the "horseless age" had areas that car dealerships would gravitate to. Most were near or on main roads that saw a lot of foot traffic by pedestrians who would hopefully take the time to look in the showroom windows at the latest offering in motorized transportation. 4 major cities had both automobile shows as well as custom body salons. Often the service areas for cars were not at the dealership/showroom. but either several blocks away or in an area that would see facilities ( stables, warehouse buildings) that once catered to horses . I note Mr.Leno has  penned yet  another introduction , not surprised , that seems to be the normal now.

• Like 1

Hi Steve I remember LaPosada very well, it burned to the ground along time ago, now it is a Walgreens in there old spot,  I have lived in Frankfort for 48 year's a lot has changed in that time, I hear a lot of great things about you Steve, and Wayne Carini backs that up on his TV show,  back in the 1980's  was a service manager at a VW  dealership on Palos Park and met Barbara Hames she was a character and her father, I have a story about her, she wanted us at VW to work on her Mercedes. I see an old (but looks restored) Hames Oldsmobile parts truck still all lettered up from back in the day about 3 times a month by me. I am a NEWBIE to this forum and I love it, just joined AACA last week.

Bob

• Like 2

@Walt G I  want to personally thank you for what you do for our automobile community, you have such a wealth of knowledge, I am truly amazed of all the dealerships that were here in Chicago dating back to 1905, and all the automotive equipment and tools made here in Chicago.

Bob

• Like 2

Bob, it is  always a pleasure to add to the story if I can or help out. I have been very fortunate over the decades to meet some great people with amazing archives and knowledge and they always shared it with me . I try to carry on what they did so far as attitude and preservation. Besides your a Buick owner and most all Buick guys are good people! ( yes I own a 'nailhead ' too and it is sitting in my garage about 25 feet away from where I am typing this.)

Addresses for dealership can be found in special newspaper sections that came out early in the new model year - mostly January to April. Most of these sections were tossed away once looked at when new but those that survive are a wealth of information of addresses and locations for the assorted cities they were published in. Most don't look at these because they do not know they exist, newsprint does not survive well for decades. Often they were 20+ large format pages and dealers also took ads listing where the "new" cars could be purchased.

AACA is the reason all of you are reading the nonsense I rattle on about , they sponsor and created these forums. 😏

Walt

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Barb, her dad Bud and uncle were all friends of mine.  Yes, they ALL were characters.  Barb, was the one who called me one snowy morning to tell me I had better turn on our closed circuit TV.  I was outside plowing my dealership in Merrillville.  It was the morning I learning that they were killing Oldsmobile.  Man getting that parts truck would be so cool.

La Posada was my favorite Mexican restuarant and to this day I have not had better.  John Williams, the owner and I were very friendly.  I lived in Frankfort Square until I moved to Merrillville.

As to hearing good things about me, don't believe any of it!  Thanks for joining AACA!  Wayne is a great guy and a good friend.  I have him buffalowed!

• Like 1

@Walt G my bother n law purchased a house in Riverside, Il. in 1982 , one day we went up in the attic and from front to rear, knee high, were newspapers, the oldest one we saw was from 1927, like you stated so many car adds and each days paper was so thick. I don't know what he did with them, I will have to ask.

Bob

Back in the 1970’s I drove a delivery truck throughout the six county area and of course this included Chicago.  I had no idea at that time about “automotive row” and was amazed one day on South Michigan Av. to see all the old dealerships.  I also noticed that on north Clark St. south of Howard on the east side there was an old looking gray brick building with the word Fordson on the header of the front.

• Like 1

Chicago, Michigan Avenue Motor Row is Awesome...  Byrd-Sykes was the Graham-Paige dealership building has been facelifted a few times behind the white Lincoln, windows are still the same.  I am pretty sure my 1933 Graham came from this dealership.

image.png.f6b659ae3f2f17bbc2dcfd11f1952f89.png

image.png.dbf0d92a29de456bef3c7747e3d98993.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

About thirty years ago, my wife had to attend some special computer systems seminars for her job. Her work paid her way, but we paid mine so that we could attend the dinners and lake cruise as a couple. The host hotel was right downtown Chicago on Michigan Avenue, and while she attended classes and discussions, I spent most of the days wandering around walking distance seeing the historic sites I could! I used to walk very fast (still usually walk faster than do most people), so I was able to cover quite an area, and there was a lot to see. I think the most memorable building I spent a couple hours at was the Studebaker building! Although it was no longer owned by Studebaker, the building predated automobiles by almost a decade, and at that time hadn't been updated since the 1920s! The architecture, the woodwork, the staircases and iron work were all incredible! The 1910s era elevators hadn't been updated since, and were still operated by a full-time elevator operator that manually opened the gates, and turned the control wheel to up or down and park the lift. If I recall correctly, the man had worked at that job for about 45 years at that time. He seemed to appreciate that I appreciated "his" building.

I don't know if that building is still there, as it was thirty years ago? I would certainly hope so. I almost cannot imagine it would be however, given this day and its modern foibles. And if it isn't still that wonderful? I don't think I want to know about it.

• Thanks 1

@Graham Man @wayne sheldon I have not been downtown to visit in years because of all the shootings and killings from them, even people getting shot while driving on the expressways, what has our world gone to. I have been recovering from an illness and have to go downtown to Rush hospital frequently for doctor visits and my wife and I are scared to drive there, but I now I am almost fully recovered.  My father in law and grandfather in law both worked for the Rock Island train system and it is located just south of the downtown limits and they used to speak of the hustle and bustle in it's hay day to work each day downtown.  I feel bad for our beautiful city of Chicago that we should be able to visit regularly.

Bob

Wayne, I believe that is about 400 S Michigan Ave and is actually called the “Fine Arts Building” it has the old “Studebaker Theater” in it. It’s been there since the early 1900’s or late 1890’s. Studebaker had the building as a wagon manufacturing building until they out grew it.  I had a couple publishers that were clients having offices in the building. I believe it was remodeled around 2015 as both of my customers moved to the suburbs because of the construction. So it’s still a beautiful theater. About 8 to 10 blocks south was the area called Printers row which had all the big printing presses like RR Donnelly and others. The movie “Backdraft” used (I believe it was) the old Cuneo press building for the big final fire scenes because the city wanted to tear it down.  The building still stood after the movie as the floors were all two feet thick steel reinforced concrete to hold the weight of the large presses. 
dave s 

• Like 1

Last time I was on Motor Row the apartments were renting for thousands a month, the buildings are being remodeled into high end apartments and townhouses.  Chicago has been doing a good job keeping the streets clean, much better than when I was there in the 1990's.

https://www.apartments.com/motor-row-lofts-chicago-il/r2rxby2/     2 bedroom start at 2K to 4.5K a month

image.png.ae66761a68a5f3712991b5a29eb529a9.png