Olds Autocrat?

nzcarnerd

• nzcarnerd changed the title to Olds Autocrat?

1912 Olds Defender looks about right, but OP front wheel has 12 spokes/bolt on lock rings? Google images show 1912 Autocrat and Limited had 12 spokes with bolt on lock rings while Defender had 10 spokes? So still a bit of sleuthing needed, intake manifold and general engine configuration should be a clue. Also the bi-folded down windshield suggest Olds.

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)

Additional superb photos from the same 1912 Olds Defender sold at auction a while back. Restoration appears outstanding. Intake manifold shape appears to be only significant difference from OP where the carb is higher by a few inches. Note Oldsmobile Defender cast in blocks, suggesting this is different engine (perhaps smaller) than other Olds in 1912. Also OP appears to have a magneto? I've also posted a 1911 Olds Autocrat/Special motor. Looks closer to the OP.

Olds Defender 1912 5.jpg

Olds Defender 1912 4.jpg

Olds Defender 1912 1.jpg

Olds Defender 1912 2.jpg

1911 Oldsmobile special motor.jpg

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)

On 4/14/2022 at 10:55 AM, AHa said:

You gotta love the guy standing over the carburetor smoking a cigar!

Back in the early 80's when I used to work at a shop and the manager was a chain smoker. He would sometimes check on how things were going by the various mechanics. He would kind of lean in under the hood with a lit cigarette in between two finders on one hand. He got much closer to the open carbs than the cigar guy in the photo. We never had any accidental fires from that.

I believe that is a Splitdorf magneto and a cast aluminum fan in the OP. Original mags are sometimes replaced with something more reliable but the fan should be the same. The bottom picture above has a Bosch dual magneto or double spark to fire two spark plugs but a sheet metal fan. Subtle differences.

I am still unsure what our mystery Olds is. I think what might confirm it is of someone knows if the last year Autocrat (1912) got the built-in col lights that Defender - which ran for 1912 and 1913 only - had.

The Defender was a much smaller car - 116" wheelbase and 36 x 4 tyres vs 126" wheelbase and 38 x 4 1/2 tyres for the Autocrat.

The Defender engine was much smaller as well - 4" bore x 5 15/16" stroke for 276 cid vs 5" x 6" for 471 cid for the Autocrat.

I think what is confusing us is the inlet manifold which we have not found a match for. I wonder of someone has any illustrated parts books for this era.

I believe the motor in the OP's picture is a Wisconsin. They had intake manifolds like that. The tire and wheel doesn't appear that large to me, maybe 34x4. That fender has some strange rivets running along the inside edge and it appears to be canvas. Notice the hemmed edge next to the motor. The fan, to me, should be a deciding factor. Both of the Olds motors have sheet metal fans but the OP's picture shows the cast aluminum fan.

Edited by AHa (see edit history)