Mystery roadster

nzcarnerd

1 hour ago, keiser31 said:

Not that is matters, but the photo may be reversed as the golf bag door and step plate are usually on the right side (in the USA).

One aspect I had not considered. Perhaps it should be like this.

Apparently the woman is actress Jean Arthur and it is the only know actual photo - rather than a movie still - of her with a car.

aaca Robert Mannino (2).jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

The position of the lock on the golf bag door looks right as well.

The many shapes of golf bag doors make an interesting study.

Pretty certain you nailed it. I was looking for the raised reveal at the quarter panel. I see it now.

2 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Not that is matters, but the photo may be reversed as the golf bag door and step plate are usually on the right side (in the USA).

As you note the gold bag door should be on the right - in the USA. As with my Studebaker it would appear that Chrysler did not make a 'right hand drive' - ie door on the left - version of their 1920s roadster bodies, as all of those I have photos of have the door on the right. Like this 1926 Imperial 80.

Edited - that should be 'did NOT make a ....'

IMG_0836 resize.JPG

• Like 1

It is not a 1927 model 70. The 26 model 70 had 6 lug wheels and in 1927 they had 5 lug wheels. The 1926 and 1927 cars also did not have the double bead along the doors.

Looking at the different color of the bead going below the door, I also think it is a 1928 Model 72. The model 52 and 62 cars this part under the doors was standard body color.

The devil is in the details, as far as I know, Dodge used round rubber padded rumble seat step plates, and Chrysler used squarish cast aluminum ones like this one from a Chrysler Model 52 Roadster. So I say Chrysler. BTW, if anyone needs this step plate, send me a PM.

IMG_6791.JPG

IMG_6790.JPG