1929 Packard 633 project/parts car

Located on the eastside of Cleveland on Craigslist.   The louvered hood means it's a 633.  The cowl & windshield stantions lead me to believe it was an open car originally, probably a 5 or 7 passenger touring car.   Too bad the back half of the body is gone.   See Craigslist ad for contact info.   They are asking $3500 which isn't horrible.   

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/d/chagrin-falls-1929-packard/7454733951.html

00y0y_4QplL0vdXZBz_0eL0b4_600x450.jpg

00n0n_6A8EGq1LpWVz_0eL0b4_600x450.jpg

Edited by K8096 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

That's the idea but just a wee bit nicer.  

Hey Matt,  it's a good start on your Vintage wrecker project. 

If I knew i would ever get to it,  I would seriously inquire,  as I have some literature being delivered and the haul is going by ,  I think pretty close,  Could probably add this for less than the price of a full individual haul and save a little on getting it to me.  That would probably be pushing my luck.  That price is mighty tempting if the engine isn't a boat anchor.   Even at that I could see having 20 grand in it,  before it even was ready to hit the road and that's not making it nice.   Just reliable. 

1 hour ago, thehandleman said:

I guess that's why the guy did not respond to my text, LOL

Good luck with the project.

Or any other parts for it for that mater? Pretty sure it’s a 1929 runabout. Seems to be they changed to the single body line cowl sides rivited onto 1929 000703 cowl. 

Smaller brackets to the left of the bumpers are sedan body support brackets - originally a sedan it would seem, as are the right angled ones in the box beside the sedan door latches. Cowl, doors and radiator are earlier series grafted onto a very early 1929 firewall. Wood steering wheel is early 28 or earlier. Front shocks later than 29.

If it really is a bunch of somewhat mismatched pieces,  then one would have no problem feeling bad for making something like a roadster pickup out of it.  not like you were hurting a good complete,  or mostly complete car. 

An old car collector , now passed, had one and I would have love to have gotten it,  but never knew when it came up for sale, that it was available.  Seems it was sold at a well know auction that no one but a select few knew about one year right before Hershey. I never even heard a word about it while at Hershey that year which was a week or two later,  which leads me to believe it really was a bit hush hush as the auction was somewhat local to me. 

From the collection of cars he had , seems like it would have been on alot of peoples lips.

1 hour ago, Kean Thompson said:

Smaller brackets to the left of the bumpers are sedan body support brackets - originally a sedan it would seem, as are the right angled ones in the box beside the sedan door latches. Cowl, doors and radiator are earlier series grafted onto a very early 1929 firewall. Wood steering wheel is early 28 or earlier. Front shocks later than 29.

Seems like the wheel base would be different from my reading this car has a 133.5 wheelbase did the 633 sedan come with a 133.5 or just roadster? Also attach frame and motor numbers match.. 

4ABCC6FB-80DF-4D52-8E87-AC102A0B35E1.jpeg

VERY unusual for frame and engine numbers to be identical, if that's what you mean? Serial numbers are found on all mechanical components and I have never known any to match but are within the correct range and differ by a couple of hundred numbers. Roadsters and other open cars had a high speed rear end. Closed cars much lower. The ratio is stamped on the diff centre. LHS vertical face.

5 minutes ago, Kean Thompson said:

I can't make out the location of the engine number. Photo is obscured. Where on the engine is that number. It should be on the LH front support arm upper face.

Yes it is on the frame front driver side infront of the cowl and then on the mount arm for the motor both match, *233539*