1960s Japanese Import Cars Gaining Value

TerryB

That seems like a pretty high price. More than many / most, early Lotus 7's for example. The Honda's are interesting, but I don't think they are exceptionally rare. Over 13,000 were built plus over 11,000 S800's . And they are known to be somewhat fragile mechanically. 

The Lotus 7's on the other hand are in both short supply, and great demand around the world. Lotus only built about 2500 7's . But many more have been built by several different  firms plus individual home builders since Lotus discontinued production .

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Ahhh. My two rusty ones will never look that good again. I did paint one white with RM Super Max alkyd enamel with Star Rock hardener. It looked great for years. 

11 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

That sure looks like the Portland Swap Meet. I was probably standing right beside you when you snapped that photo.

That is correct. I took the photo at the swap meet in 2016.   The 360 and the Crosley parked side by side did draw a lot of attention there.

Craig

Never heard that. I've known several Honda 600s in the Virginia area over the years.

7 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Never heard that. I've known several Honda 600s in the Virginia area over the years.

I never heard of that, either.  It was Consumer Reports that deemed the Subaru 360 as unsafe.

Craig

18 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

I must be thinking about some other small car that got outlawed. 

I have this image in my mind of a bunch of tiny cars being crushed.

Maybe it was a dream.

They were my second favorite behind 240 Z's back in the day. Excluding the exotics , Toyota 2000, the JDM Z's, Skyline GTR's  etc. Prices have sure gone up over the last 20 years ! I even squirreled away a 18RG engine years ago thinking there was probably a early Celica coming up in my future. Never happened. At current prices , never will.

Not a very good seller . A bit pricy for a time when most Japanese cars were thought of as a cheaper alternative. They were quite popular in Japan, and sold well there.

As far as Cosmo's go I prefer the first version. But I don't think more than a small handful made it to North America.

latest?cb=20170911163814

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

28 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

Not a very good seller . A bit pricy for a time when most Japanese cars were thought of as a cheaper alternative. They were quite popular in Japan, and sold well there.

As far as Cosmo's go I prefer the first version. But I don't think more than a small handful made it to North America.

latest?cb=20170911163814

Sure has a lot of Alfa Romeo in it!😉

Alfa-Romeo - Spider Duetto - 1967 - Catawiki

8 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

To my knowledge, the first gen Cosmo was never sold in North America for that reason, although I believe a small handful made the rounds to Mazda dealers to show what they were capable of doing.  They were expensive, and Mazda knew the market would be limited to non-existent for a pricy two-seater at the time, and didn't want to go through the expense of Federalizing it.  But they did make the attempt with that second generation which by then, was a four seater.  Sales were poor in North America, but in Japan and Australia, they sold quite well.

Craig