1963 v 1964 seats

RivNut

I'm doing some research based on some comments I recently received.  What I need from you is pictures of ORIGINAL cloth seats from 1963 and 1964.  Please don't send pictures of reproductions, reupholstered, 1965, or anything vinyl or leather, just 1963 and 1964 cloth.  I'm trying to determine if the pattern for the 1963 runs in one direction and the pattern in the 1964 runs 90 degrees to the 1963 pattern. Please Label them appropriately. If you're not positive that yours are original, I don't need any pictures.  The cloth interiors only came in cars with custom interiors.

1963 codes

717 blue

737 sandalwood

787 black

1964 codes

610 green

611 blue

613 fawn

Looking forward to your replies,

Thanks,  Ed

Ed, good day.

Sorry, sometimes I don't take direction very well, these photos are neither mine, nor am I positive the upholstery is original, (sosumi) but for curiosity sake, it appears (unconfirmed) that the two years did indeed take different direction as well.. At least based on this unverified info....

Apparently from a '63... (source: https://automotivemileposts.com/riviera/riviera1963interiortrim.html )

riv1963bluecloth.jpg.7ca2731c042d6df0a4a458c3a85f4a04.jpg

Apparently from a '64...(source: http://automotivemileposts.com/riviera/riviera1964interiortrim.html )

riv1964customgreencloth.jpg.6ebbb71c7d579d744f23f986d32609e3.jpg

Sorry if this doesn't provide iron-clad confirmation, hopefully others can help confirm with their own photos. I was just curious, that's all...

Later,

1 hour ago, MikeJS said:

Ed, good day.

Sorry, sometimes I don't take direction very well, these photos are neither mine, nor am I positive the upholstery is original, (sosumi) but for curiosity sake, it appears (unconfirmed) that the two years did indeed take different direction as well.. At least based on this unverified info....

Apparently from a '63... (source: https://automotivemileposts.com/riviera/riviera1963interiortrim.html )

riv1963bluecloth.jpg.7ca2731c042d6df0a4a458c3a85f4a04.jpg

Apparently from a '64...(source: http://automotivemileposts.com/riviera/riviera1964interiortrim.html )

riv1964customgreencloth.jpg.6ebbb71c7d579d744f23f986d32609e3.jpg

Sorry if this doesn't provide iron-clad confirmation, hopefully others can help confirm with their own photos. I was just curious, that's all...

Later,

Mike, thanks but…..

I copied these two plus about five others using Google images.  These may be correct, but there’s no way of knowing the history of them, hence I’m asking for original pictures for which the owner may have a history of the car.  Chances are that the pictures that are most useful will be of old raggedy seats - at least I’ll know that they’re original. So if anyone has an old 63-64 project waiting in the wings with tattered upholstery that you’re ashamed of, I want a picture of it. Please.

Ed

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

thanks but…..

Ed, good day.

No worries, I knew this wasn't what you were really looking for, and I woulda been surprised if you hadn't found those photos yourself. Again, I was a little bored, and hopefully those pics give others a better indication of what you are on about in terms of the directional pattern... 

FWIW, as I watch stain dry on a chair I'm restoring, I did find this image which is kinda tough to discern a distinct pattern, but probably more indicative of some of the pics you may be looking for....

(Source: https://barnfinds.com/carport-find-1963-buick-riviera/ )

'63...

3-5-630x390.jpg.b873a377fdc5542c3a23dc5cc11bce2c.jpg

Later,

35 minutes ago, MikeJS said:

Ed, good day.

No worries, I knew this wasn't what you were really looking for, and I woulda been surprised if you hadn't found those photos yourself. Again, I was a little bored, and hopefully those pics give others a better indication of what you are on about in terms of the directional pattern... 

FWIW, as I watch stain dry on a chair I'm restoring, I did find this image which is kinda tough to discern a distinct pattern, but probably more indicative of some of the pics you may be looking for....

(Source: https://barnfinds.com/carport-find-1963-buick-riviera/ )

'63...

3-5-630x390.jpg.b873a377fdc5542c3a23dc5cc11bce2c.jpg

Later,

From a 63, right?

8 minutes ago, TexRiv_63 said:

Here are the original seats from my early production 63 with blue cloth and vinyl

DSCF1346.JPG

DSCF1347.JPG

DSCF1348.JPG

DSCF1350.JPG

DSCF1351.JPG

Great, thanks.  The split in the front tells be that these are original as well as how good the tufting is on the back seats.  When/if you decide to recover these, contact me first and I’ll tell you why I’m doing this “research.”

22 hours ago, RivNut said:

Great, thanks.  The split in the front tells be that these are original as well as how good the tufting is on the back seats.  When/if you decide to recover these, contact me first and I’ll tell you why I’m doing this “research.”

Ed, I sold this car back in 2009. I did recover the seats with Clark's covers, a very good reproduction on the cloth pattern but the color was dramatically more intense.

DSCF7154.JPG

DSCF7163.JPG

DSCF7164.JPG

DSCF7166.JPG

DSCF7167.JPG

DSCF7168.JPG

DSCF7169.JPG

44 minutes ago, BulldogDriver said:

I thought the very early 63’s had a smooth rather than a ribbed dash.

This one looks smooth to me.

Ray

The ribbed dash was introduced in November 1962.

Don's car was built in October.  So it should have the smooth dash.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Jim Cannon said:

The ribbed dash was introduced in November 1962.

Don's car was built in October.  So it should have the smooth dash.

Jim, I'm curious as to how many '63s you have in your registry?

Kevin 

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

FYI, that is an owner installed outside mirror on the passenger’s door.

When I re-did the wood veneer, I hole sawed the door panel and card, indented the panel for the veneer with a pilot hole in the same position as the driver's door. After applying the veneer, I drilled 1/16" pin holes in the veneer that only I can see. This is for a future right side OSRV Mirror. However, from what has been discussed in other posts, will probably never install a mirror. The holes I have drilled so far are hidden, no more holes.

image.png.d9e3b96f3e8d7d5566f164102bd1bd99.png

9 hours ago, kegart said:

Jim, I'm curious as to how many '63s you have in your registry?

Kevin 

At this time, 277 vehicles.  A small percentage of the full 40,000 built.  But enough to have a pretty good sense of how various design changes played out during the course of production.

• Like 1