1904 Roche-Schneider

8E45E

The article says this car has been in the garage since 1959? To me? That puts quite a different slant on the big discovery. Isn't that well past both big wars before it was lost? A big difference between barely sixty and over a hundred years since it last ran. Yes, I still hope to read more details about who may have owned it. It does look remarkably original for such an early automobile.

The article mentions the all too often stretching of the term "barn find". To my way of thinking? They are as guilty of that stretch as are too many others.

If you look up French tax laws you'll understand why. Just for kicks I was interested in seeing what that entailed. As opposed to Italy where they are offering forigners the ability to buy property as low as $1., etc to invest and restore village fabric and the like, the French system substantially disincentivizes against this when you do the math. The car was probably forgotten about by fleeing owners and no one brave enough to invest in the property and probably didn't know it was housed there. - not a political statement, just fact. I do love their left bank wine though.🙂

5 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

The article mentions the all too often stretching of the term "barn find". To my way of thinking? They are as guilty of that stretch as are too many others.

That is why I used quotation marks around "barn find" in the title; especially when it wasn't found in an actual barn.  

That term has definitely escalated in the past couple of decades to describe anything of value which has been stored out of the elements for more than a generation.  What is even more silly are those who add layers dust and pigeon poop to make it look like it was actually in a barn!!

Craig

I don't know what the French laws are, but as soon as word gets out that this car was found and removed from the "abandoned" property, someone will claim ownership. Even if it's the French government that owns the property after it's abandonment, I'm sure they want their cut. I wish I could take possession of some of the cars that I have seen in "abandoned" garages. I remember a 1940 Ford that was in a garage that was behind a house that had burned many years ago but had several "No Tresspassing" signs posted. Someone still owned the property.

• Like 1