1976 Oldsmobile 98 2 Door - $12,500 - Greenwood IN - Not Mine

Mom drove one of those exactly. Only hers was light tan with a darker top. It started to rust about the second day after dad bought it. Soured him on GM for quite awhile. Traded it on a diesel VW dasher. Of course that was a big jump for Mom. The dasher was only around for a few months then came a string of Audis.

Moms was a 2 door, the few I have seen over the years have been 4 doors. Had me second guessing what she had. At one time she had a 2 door grandville also. I remember when dad bought that car he was arguing with one of his buddies that it was a catalina, that they did not make 2 door grandvilles.

And trivia for you Terry, he bought most of his Pontiacs at Jones in Lancaster.

Edited by TAKerry (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Lititz had William B Fry Pontiac from the 1920s till the 1990s.  Jones is now Buick and Honda.  Funny how some people always bought from the same dealer.  I’m not a Lititz native but I did go to the end of business clean out public sale for Fry Pontiac.  I bought a lot of small items and two Pontiac big showroom door entrance rugs with the Pontiac logo. Sold them when I moved.

Hudsy - 

It was a styling generational thing.  Not until 2 door models went out of favor as they are now, did we see a change back to roll down or power down rear windows.    The blind rear seat concept was in vogue with Lincoln - think Mark III - Cadillacs and even the Chrysler Cordoba.   

The one good thing is A/C systems were finally up to the task by then.   I have recently owned a 76 Coupe deVille.   I don't hate the styling.  

On 1/26/2022 at 1:30 AM, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I was never crazy about this quarter window/roof design from GM. I always thought that it made it look like the window was something of an afterthought.

I agree, beginning in 1973 that rear quarter window does not flow with the design. Kind of looks like they finished the car and said "wait a minute, I think we forgot to add the windows for rear quarters."

Shades of our 74 Delta 88, step down but reminded me of that car:

Purchased by my Grandfather in 73, a 74 model year car.  He passed months later unable to enjoy it.

Dad inherited it, ran like a beast but was getting rust repairs done by 76.  

Colonial gold.  The adults loved it.  Blech!!

That didn't sour us on GM because it was not all that unusual in CT in the 70s.  Seems like everything rusted in no time.  73 Monte Carlo did it for me, springing rust everywhere at 6, 7 years old.

Here in Minnesota, I was well used to rust, but when fuel and brake lines started to rust through, which hadn't been the norm for decades, I finally soured on GM. I didn't have much better luck with Ford. My Mercury Grand Marquis was worse. The oil pan and the gas tank rusted through in the same year.