New Jersey title

Bill Williams

I have just joined and hope this question is not redundant. My NJ title for my 38 states F 31093 210 and when trying to title in Florida am questioned where that number came from. Gave them my engine block no 43532084 and have located frame no 3331119 however need to determine where the title no came from. Thanks for any guidance as looking forward to getting her back on the road. Original title issued to me in 1985.

Hi Dave, As both egine block number and frame are clear just wonder where a casting number might be located. I think NJ during the 80's went to a 17 number vin and trying to figure out the origin of this number on the title. Thanks for reply I see from another member his car had a number stamped on transmission case near the gearshift lever. Will lift floor board and see if anything there but doubt it.

Cheers Bill

5 hours ago, Bill Williams said:

Hi Dave, As both egine block number and frame are clear just wonder where a casting number might be located. I think NJ during the 80's went to a 17 number vin and trying to figure out the origin of this number on the title. Thanks for reply I see from another member his car had a number stamped on transmission case near the gearshift lever. Will lift floor board and see if anything there but doubt it.

Cheers Bill

Bill, my `36 Buick transmission has the frame number(which i recently discovered)stamped on top of the trans case just aft of the top shifter plate, so i know trans is original to the car. My engine was a re-manufactured one. Car didn`t have a title when i bought it(complete basket case/disassembled), from what i understand prewar cars had the engine number on the title, so it wouldn`t have matched the title anyways. I applied for a title, it now has the frame number on it.

This may sound crazy, but you could have the number you are looking for made as a plate and added somewhere.  This may not help a future buyer, but may help your situation now.  These old cars were often titled using all sorts of various numbers.  My title had the model number on it (because that was the number on the data plate) until I told them tens of thousands of cars had that same number.  Some titles even have the incorrect year, as they would use the year of purchase instead of the actual model year.

• Like 1