1969 Shelby Mustang GT500 Fastback 4-Speed

I'm posting this one because it is going to really annoy me when it sells for a ton of money.   My model of buying when the market is high and selling when the market is dead is timed to perfection.   My white GT500 was 10 times nicer than this.   Except for two little details.  This car is my favorite color and is a stick.  

I see lots of little things wrong, but it won't matter.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-ford-shelby-gt-500/

This 1969 Shelby Mustang GT500 fastback was delivered new to Reynolds Motors in Syracuse, New York, and was acquired by the seller in May 1988, reportedly from the second owner. A nine-year refurbishment was completed in 2021 and included rust repair, replacing body panels, repainting the car in its factory Acapulco Blue with white side stripes, renewing the black vinyl interior, and rebuilding the suspension and braking systems. The car is powered by a rebuilt 428ci Cobra Jet V8 paired with a four-speed manual transmission and a 3.50:1 Traction-Lok differential. Additional equipment includes a Sport Deck rear seat, power steering, power front disc brakes, and a Philco push-button radio. A Holley Street Dominator intake manifold, PerTronix electronic ignition, and rear window louvers were added by the seller. A fluid service was performed within the last 450 miles. This GT500 is now offered with a Deluxe Marti Report, an owner’s manual, a Shelby American World Registry book, two sets of keys, and transferable New York registration in the seller’s name.

1635276890ef66e7dff9f98764da0924181355-scaled.jpg?fit=2048%2C1536

1969_ford_shelby_gt_500_163640627370ef2ceb15224008a9PXL_20211108_150535522.MP_-scaled.jpg?fit=2048%2C1193

• Like 3

Great looking car. I dont know if its just my computer but the bottom pic is a bit 'smooshed'.  I saw an article in a magazine a few years ago where a guy took a mach I and cut a section out of the body to shorten the wheelbase. It did not do the car justice. This pic reminded of that.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ford40 said:

$150,000+

No way.   If that is true I will jump out a window.    I couldn't get that for my identical convertible after 6 months of trying.

I'm thinking 110k.    Even at that price I'm going to be very annoyed.

ShelbyInTheFall.JPG

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

I would agree on the price, however these and all cars of this vintage seem to be on the rise. 

Only because I don’t own any anymore.  I can tell you when I was sitting on three mustangs and a couple of pretty cool cougars the market was going the other way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, alsancle said:

Only because I don’t own any anymore.  I can tell you when I was sitting on three mustangs and a couple of pretty cool cougars the market was going the other way.

I thought that only happened to me!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, alsancle said:

Maybe one of us should zig when the other zags and we can see whose fault it is?

Yes!. I just got a text from a buddy who sent a pic of a 1978 Corvette Indy Pace Car crossing the block at B-J auction today for $22,000. I sold mine a few months ago for $9800. They are bound to go up now!!1978 CHEVROLET CORVETTE SILVER ANNIVERSARY PACE CAR - Front 3/4 - 255058

Edited by Ed Luddy (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Ed Luddy said:

This is mine. Was a decent car. I included a brand new full Pace Car Decal kit, Redid the seats and much more this year.

bosetc 042.jpg

Remember the frictional costs of BJ are pretty high.   Shipping, sellers fees, sellers vig, buyers vig, etc.     Not to mention, "no reserve" means there is risk built in.

• Like 1

I would actually go pace car over an F body if I ever get another 70s GM muscle/sports car.  Prices for these seem all over the place.  Dealer I posted red TA from last week has one at $27k, w 34k miles.  Looks nice enough but I see them from 10k to 40k asking.  Ed yours looks like it was pretty nice.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

I would actually go pace car over an F body if I ever get another 70s GM muscle/sports car.  Prices for these seem all over the place.  Dealer I posted red TA from last week has one at $27k, w 34k miles.  Looks nice enough but I see them from 10k to 40k asking.  Ed yours looks like it was pretty nice.

Thanks Steve. It was very good underneath. Was stored for over 25 years in a vineyard storage shed. Put a battery in it, some fresh gas and brake fluid, drove it home 2 1/2 hrs. I spent a fair bit of money getting it back to good driving condition. Took quite a big $$ dollar loss. Have too many cars, no enough storage, time, patience, and most of all money!

3 more cars to sell as soon as spring comes here to frozen Ontario!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Remember the frictional costs of BJ are pretty high.   Shipping, sellers fees, sellers vig, buyers vig, etc.     Not to mention, "no reserve" means there is risk built in.

Yes. Auction fees and all the rest can chew up a lot cash. Usually 30% or more. So if it sells for $10,000 seller will likely realize about $7,500 or so after all the B.S. Buyer will have $13,000 + by the time it's home and on the road. IF there's no big undisclosed problems. Which usually isn't the case. Even with all that I plan to consign at least 2 to auction. Because of good exposure and hoping there's 2 more people on the planet who want my car's more than I want to keep 'em!

I have never owned a Corvette, but do admire them.

Not sure if there is one on my bucket list but I guess it would be a 67 with a 427 4 speed.  Just like the one my high school buddy got for graduation.

Man did we ever trash that car.

4 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

I have had one, a 71, might like another. @Ed Luddyis the yellow TA you posted one of yours, really nice car.

See AJ we have moved pretty far from Shelby pricing.  Done on purpose so you needn't be concerned with recent prices... 😉

No Steve, unfortunately it's not mine. My old 76 is under going a full resto and I wish I could get it back. It was an end of the line 455 4 speed. Cameo white, Firethorn red interior ordered by my neighbour. No console, only major option was A/C. But the local Pontiac dealer kept re-ordering for him after it got kicked back due to the 455. Finally they did receive enough orders from non California smog exempt cars to build some. It was for Canada. 

I bought from his estate after he passed, but it had been poorly stored in a damp barn for a long time. I did buy another complete western Formula body to try and restore, but another local guy who knew the car and owner came and bought both from me at a time when I had too many projects! Sound familiar?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Another great TA color combo Ed... You can not keep 'em all!  To circle back to the thread subject, not even AJ can keep 'em all! 😁

Only thing I ever regret selling is my factory Stutz Supercharger that was in its original crate with paperwork from 1937.  The reason I regret that is because I will never have another one.     I sold it because bolting a car on to the back of it was going to cost me 500k.

http://home.townisp.com/~alsancle/StutzSuperCharger.html

Unless something has real sentimental value,  it was your HS car,  your dad's car, etc,  you can always buy another one... usually.

• Like 2

Ed, I would have given 10k for that pace car! Im not really a vette guy (have always preferred the T/A, duh!) but would not turn one away either given the right opportunity. I really like the 78 pace cars and have been looking at them for years. I think there were 2 motor options maybe an L82? was one. One I think was a higher hp spec and commands a bit more money. May have been a 4 speed to boot. I thought the prices on these cars was on the rise, and the BJ car seems a bit soft, but maybe its just asking prices that are high. There are still tons of them out there with low miles. I would like to have one in my modest collection. I think it would make a nice compliment between my 2 Trans Ams. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

Ed, I would have given 10k for that pace car! Im not really a vette guy (have always preferred the T/A, duh!) but would not turn one away either given the right opportunity. I really like the 78 pace cars and have been looking at them for years. I think there were 2 motor options maybe an L82? was one. One I think was a higher hp spec and commands a bit more money. May have been a 4 speed to boot. I thought the prices on these cars was on the rise, and the BJ car seems a bit soft, but maybe its just asking prices that are high. There are still tons of them out there with low miles. I would like to have one in my modest collection. I think it would make a nice compliment between my 2 Trans Ams. 

Yes there were 2 engine choices for 1978. The base L48 350 @ 185 horsepower and the L82 with a bump in compression ratio @ 220 hp. I've owned a few Corvette's of both engines and never noticed much difference. The silver seats in the Pace Car were a lot better than the regular 78 seats. By 1979 all the Corvettes got the same seats in many color choices.  1st pic below is the 78 Pace Car 2nd is my old 81 Corvette with the same style in tan leather with power seat. Yes I know, both needed a good cleaning and new carpet!

One thing about these cars with the tinted glass roof panels, the A/C can barely keep up on a hot day. The large back glass/glass tops turn them into a microwave oven for 2 adults!

vettiger 001.jpg

vet81 010.jpg

• Like 2

There was talk that the GM used leftover material from the 78 pace car leather seats to produce the leather seats for the 79 Trans Am Anniversary car (only trans am with leather seats). I have never found proof of that and to me it sounds a bit ridiculous (I suppose this could be in the wives tales thread).  Scenario at GM- 'So Bob, I have all of this leather left over from last year, what should I do with it? I know, we will use it for Pontiac seats, no one will know the difference!'

FWIW, the one thing I hated from jump street about the TATA was the silver interior. I am almost ready for upholstery and am seriously considering a different colour for the seats.