1936 Pontiac 8 4-door touring sedan.

aristech

• 7 months later...

Wanted to share this I am really excited to now own a 1936 Pontiac 8 hood ornament. I have never seen one in person nor have I found any for sale. I cannot wait for the day it is mounted. Here is a picture. Once my car gets to that point I will get the grooves painted. For now it will be stored with the rest of my chrome parts. 

image0.jpeg

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Kingdomtraveler said:

Are you selling this car on Facebook Marketplace? I saw a listing using these exact pics. Was going to move on it until I saw you here. Want to be sure everything is above board.

Where is it for sale ? Can you send me the link?

Master Sixes have straight axles in front. They also have black knobs on everything and that "square" pattern of stitching on the door panels, assuming they copied the original. That's how I could tell.

Deluxes, Sixes or Eights, have Chevrolet-type "Dubonnet" independent front suspension. They have brown knobs inside and a different stitch pattern on the door panels. All Eights (like @aristech's car) are Deluxes.

• Thanks 1

Best info I can find shows 38,775 total build for all 8 cylinder body styles.   All 8 cylinder (232 ci) cars were on a 116 5/8 wheelbase

There were 2 four door sedan models... one had the no hump back and the other had the hump trunk. 

If it has dual side mounts it would probably be extremely rare. 

9 minutes ago, Bloo said:

Steele is probably the only source for the rubber parts. I've been told you can get a better price from California Pontiac Restoration than ordering direct.

Thank you! I am new to this but have been a history buff and nut for a long time. After many years I finally hold a piece of history. In saying that, I must confess I need all the help I can get. I am grateful even for just the names you provided here! The 20s and 30s had such beautiful car bodies and, in my opinion, have never been matched since. To me they are a work of art.

14 hours ago, Kingdomtraveler said:

I am curious about where to get replacement windows.

It`s easy to start your own thread. Your glass is all flat, any glass store can duplicate, or you can get a set from someone like  sales@bobsclassicautoglass.com 800-624-2130    541-925-3260  They`ll need your Model & Style#, this info is on your cowl tag, it should be located under the hood, drivers side firewall.

• Like 1

I can't really tell from the pictures how bad the glass is. I can see that some of it is delaminated. I have already decided not to replace my wing windows in my 36 that have only slight bubbling along the edge. They look old... The trouble is new glass is going to obviously not match. I'll be replacing my windshield and back window in spring as they are just too shot to continue with.

If any of you guys @aristech, @Kingdomtraveler, @pont35cpe or anyone else has any pieces of usable original 36 Pontiac safety glass left over, shoot me a PM. Especially windshield panels, but anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bloo said:

I can't really tell from the pictures how bad the glass is. I can see that some of it is delaminated. I have already decided not to replace my wing windows in my 36 that have only slight bubbling along the edge. They look old... The trouble is new glass is going to obviously not match. I'll be replacing my windshield and back window in spring as they are just too shot to continue with.

If any of you guys @aristech, @Kingdomtraveler, @pont35cpe or anyone else has any pieces of usable original 36 Pontiac safety glass left over, shoot me a PM. Especially windshield panels, but anything.

Several of the windows must be replaced. I can't see thru them at all. I would prefer to keep the originals if possible but i know that's not going to work for all of them. If you want windows I am willing to help where I can.

• Like 1

Bloo, all my stuff is `35 Pontiac, and `35 Chevy Master, most glass was cracked, broke, or missing. I don`t know when GM went to the double laminated safety glass, late `35 maybe. This is what i`ve found.. The windshield halves, and front door vents were laminated. All the door glass, was not safety glass, just one ply, that cracks and breaks into big pieces. I have one 2dr slant back, that all the glass was laminated, even the back window, which half of it had came completely loose from the other half and was broke. All the other rear window glass, is one solid piece. I have an original rear window piece of glass, but its for a coupe. The coupe rear window is smaller than a sedan window by about 1" in height. I`d almost bet your rear window is a solid piece of glass. Travelers, all his glass looks to be laminated, but again his rear window is most likely one solid piece. When it comes to replacing the rear glass, be ready, almost always, the lower piece of the wood across the bottom of the window, is rotted away. Same goes for the Traveler, he may discover a lot of dry rotted wood when opening up the doors to replace the glass. Its the "snowball effect", front/rear windows will need new gaskets, doors and vent window divider post, will all need new channeling. And the vent glass frame, usually rusted, sometime real bad, beyond repair, and that piece usually needs to be re-chromed, also you`ll need the vent window gaskets, and divider post seal. Then there`s the window regulators, they will need attention also, and the vent window gear boxes, which are sometimes stripped gears. A lot of these parts/pieces are just about impossible to find anymore. You just won`t know until you get in there. I`m trying to do 2 pairs of doors, for a coupe, and a convertible, sometimes, when i get disgusted, i have to get away from them, and do something else.

• Like 1