1936 Pontiac 8 4-door touring sedan.

aristech

17 minutes ago, pont35cpe said:

Bloo, all my stuff is `35 Pontiac, and `35 Chevy Master, most glass was cracked, broke, or missing. I don`t know when GM went to the double laminated safety glass, late `35 maybe. This is what i`ve found.. The windshield halves, and front door vents were laminated. All the door glass, was not safety glass, just one ply, that cracks and breaks into big pieces. I have one 2dr slant back, that all the glass was laminated, even the back window, which half of it had came completely loose from the other half and was broke. All the other rear window glass, is one solid piece. I have an original rear window piece of glass, but its for a coupe. The coupe rear window is smaller than a sedan window by about 1" in height. I`d almost bet your rear window is a solid piece of glass. Travelers, all his glass looks to be laminated, but again his rear window is most likely one solid piece. When it comes to replacing the rear glass, be ready, almost always, the lower piece of the wood across the bottom of the window, is rotted away. Same goes for the Traveler, he may discover a lot of dry rotted wood when opening up the doors to replace the glass. Its the "snowball effect", front/rear windows will need new gaskets, doors and vent window divider post, will all need new channeling. And the vent glass frame, usually rusted, sometime real bad, beyond repair, and that piece usually needs to be re-chromed, also you`ll need the vent window gaskets, and divider post seal. Then there`s the window regulators, they will need attention also, and the vent window gear boxes, which are sometimes stripped gears. A lot of these parts/pieces are just about impossible to find anymore. You just won`t know until you get in there. I`m trying to do 2 pairs of doors, for a coupe, and a convertible, sometimes, when i get disgusted, i have to get away from them, and do something else.

Thank you for sharing your wisdom and experience. I am grateful.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, pont35cpe said:

When it comes to replacing the rear glass, be ready, almost always, the lower piece of the wood across the bottom of the window, is rotted away. Same goes for the Traveler, he may discover a lot of dry rotted wood when opening up the doors to replace the glass.

My rear window is definitely safety glass. It is delaminated 2/3 of the way across. That is the reason I am changing it. I am surprised to hear of so much plain glass in 35s. I am pretty sure there's trouble with that wood below the rear window, but I might need to tear a bunch of upholstery out to get to it. Is it possible to change the glass without getting into that? I've had all the gaskets for the windshield for a while now, no glass yet. I have a 36 Chevy Standard coupe windshield here, but it is too tall. It wasn't in great shape anyway. The back doors are a whole other matter. In my car, the wood is literally gone. Yes there is bad glass in them too but now is not the time....

5 minutes ago, Bloo said:

My rear window is definitely safety glass. It is delaminated 2/3 of the way across. That is the reason I am changing it. I am surprised to hear of so much plain glass in 35s. I am pretty sure there's trouble with that wood below the rear window, but I might need to tear a bunch of upholstery out to get to it. Is it possible to change the glass without getting into that? I've had all the gaskets for the windshield for a while now, no glass yet. I have a 36 Chevy Standard coupe windshield here, but it is too tall. It wasn't in great shape anyway. The back doors are a whole other matter. In my car, the wood is literally gone. Yes there is bad glass in them too but now is not the time....

The rear window frame of my `36 Buick coupe, i was able to make a lower piece and graft it in, to the original frame. But there was no upholstery to deal with, or a package tray, which most sedans have. The package tray is supported with a couple steel brackets attached to the bottom of the window wood, and usually has a sag, when the lower window wood is decayed. I tossed in a couple answers for you on Travelers new post.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...