Trunk mat for the 63

63 RIV MOE

I didn't use any adhesive, but I did put vinyl down on the floor area to protect the new material from

soaking up any tar or sealer material present on the trunk floor. The whole kit just plops in and stays(the cardboard

holds everything in place)  

• Like 1

On 12/23/2021 at 10:08 AM, Jim Cannon said:

There are different suppliers out there that use different material.

OMG, installing my trunk liner kit from 1990 this past September turned-out awful. Unrolled, I had it on the basement floor under a large panel with weights on top to flatten it out. The foam backing was flaking off. So I had the brilliant idea of using spare sheets of Dyna-Mat upside-down. I had Dyna-Matted the hump over the rear axle but thought it better to leave the trunk floor bare in case of moisture. Well, overnight after the install and left outside for the first time, it poured rain and the trunk filled with water. Handling that wet liner with the heavy Dyna-Mat made it worse. Further, using that same liner over the wheel wells, I made a mess of it. Not to my standard!

I should've tested my trunk for leaks first.

So, back to Jim's quote, I have seen another post here where Jenkins-interiors.com was able to supply a member with a kit of superior material.

My Cardboard Kit is also from 1990 and has Lou Ad...la stamped on the back! It turned out better that that flimsy liner.

Good day.

Although not original, I was able to make new templates from my original cardboards on my '64 and I recovered all of the pieces in a light weight upholstery fabric. I always thought that the use of cardboard liners was a little cheesy in a luxury vehicle. Probably won't win any original awards, but it represents reasonably well for what I think it should've been. I used two-faced carpet tape to attach to the wheel wells and it worked well. The welting on the wheel cover fell a little short of expectations, but with minimal sewing experience, again, it represents...

IMG_9607.JPG

IMG_0045.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MikeJS said:

it represents reasonably well for what I think it should've been.

Very nice Mike! I wish I had such good results and forget about originality, it's better than new!

Obviously, I'll have to start over but will have to learn how to tackle those curves over the wheel wells.

Not all cardboard in-place. Liner is from 1990 (CARS?) and recently installed:

image.png.becc4536a601237734bf3386789d21ef.png

Sample from Clark's Corvairs with foam backing and difficulty in showing the quality of their material in the image:

image.png.896270300ba5ce6f4f9635f720be88b9.png