1929 chrysler model 65 ignition switch

mikzjr@aol.com

The Chrysler 65 has the coil included in the switch, my one gave trouble so I removed it and just run a normal switch and coil. There have been photos on here in the past but probably under the Chrysler section. I would take a photo of mine but I’m flat out with work at the moment. Cheers Ben

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, mikzjr@aol.com said:

my wiring shows it goes from the switch to a anti theft box on the distributor not to the coil it maybe a shaler not sure.

That type of anti theft switch was also used for a few months of 1929 Desoto production.  The rest of the electric system was Delco on those cars, not Northeast like other 29s.  The coil was mounted right through the firewall with a 3 bolt flange. 

Yes, there was a small tamper proof steel box on the side of distributor, and the harness going to it had many dummy wires to add to the theft deterrent system.

The bezel on the dash had a larger hole for the ignition switch, compared to the other style with key in coil.  The back side of the dash bezel had a split piece of steel tube with a clamp bolt to hold the ignition switch body.

I have only seen one of these during the 70s-80s era when I had 29 Desoto cars, I think that system must be quite rare

Unless you get lucky and find another in better shape, which usually doesn't happen with pot metal parts, my bet is that you will have to figure out how to make another one or come up with an alternative solution, as was mentioned above. If you find a willing machinist, I would imagine it could be made out of aluminum.