Looking to hire (shop) help … Riverside, CA

TTR

Not sure if this is appropriate forum to post this, but …

… I’m at a point where I could use some (at least part-time) help at my shop in Riverside, CA and can’t seem to find any through more usual channels.

Ideally, this could be for someone with interest in old cars and potential chance to learn more about working around and on them.
Not a lot of experience is necessary, although any can be helpful, but more importantly, this person should have very good, “old school” work ethics, including mindfulness of cleanliness, safety, being extra careful around cars, their parts, shop tools/equipment, etc.

If you are or happen to know of such person, you can contact me through DM/PM.

Oh, and if I haven’t made it clear with my posts on this forum, I’m quite critical and picky about the ways things get done in my world, i.e. shop. 😉

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Looking to hire (shop) help … Riverside, CA

Thanks Peter for the additional detail. 👍

I should've thought of it...

40 minutes ago, George Smolinski said:

... and the work involved nothing newer than 1976, ...

While I occasionally dabble some small issues or services (mainly for friends or good clients, if they really insist) on "modern" cars, i.e. pretty much anything made within last +/-40 years, I generally have a rule-of-thumb phrase "If it's not old enough to have carburetor(s), I really don't want to work on it".  😉

Ironically, I currently have a 1976 Eldorado (convertible) in the shop I have to do couple of small things to, but it does belong to a good long time client, so... 🙄

41 minutes ago, 28 Chrysler said:

To bad you are in California, hiring here in Nevada is bad enough. 

I don't see "hiring" itself a problem as much as finding someone "qualified" (and/or able/willing to put up with me 😉). 

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

8 minutes ago, TTR said:

Thanks Peter for the additional detail. 👍

I should've thought of it...

While I occasionally dabble some small issues or services (mainly for friends or good clients, if they really insist) on "modern" cars, i.e. pretty much anything made within last +/-40 years, I generally have a rule-of-thumb phrase "If it's not old enough to have carburetor(s), I really don't want to work on it".  😉

Ironically, I currently have a 1976 Eldorado (convertible) in the shop I have to do couple of small things to, but it does belong to a good long time client, so... 🙄

If you move your shop to the Twin Cities, I can start immediately and I’ll even help you unload and set up on my own time.😄

On 12/9/2021 at 9:19 AM, George Smolinski said:

If you move your shop to the Twin Cities, I can start immediately and I’ll even help you unload and set up on my own time.😄

Thanks, but no thanks.

I grew up in and left a similar climate behind over 35 years ago and have no desire to re-introduce myself or my wife (who was born, raised & always lived in SoCal) to such. 

Besides, I rather enjoy (leisurely) driving my vintage cars year round, not to mention having ability to adequately test drive clients cars through out the year also. 😉

4 hours ago, TTR said:

this person should have very good, “old school” work ethics, including mindfulness of cleanliness, safety, being extra careful around cars, their parts, shop tools/equipment, etc.

Oh, and if I haven’t made it clear with my posts on this forum, I’m quite critical and picky about the ways things get done in my world, i.e. shop. 😉

Like George said, it's to bad you are where you are. I would LOVE the opportunity to assist you. Didn't think this type of thinking/work ethic existed anymore.

I am little to far to do you any good. About 2 days away in Oregon.

Best of luck finding someone to lend you a hand.

• Like 1

Mom and Dad spent 2 winters in Riverside, they were near Temecula which was a wonderful little town. I dont think I would mind living there, and one of my wifes favorite places is San Diego so I know I wouldnt have to twist her arm. If I saw this about 4 years ago I probably would have jumped at the chance. Good luck in finding someone. In my area balt/philly every one is looking for hires but seems no one wants to work. Finding someone with a skillset is a whole different animal.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2021 at 7:59 AM, TTR said:

Not sure if this is appropriate forum to post this, but …

… I’m at a point where I could use some (at least part-time) help at my shop in Riverside, CA and can’t seem to find any through more usual channels.

Ideally, this could be for someone with interest in old cars and potential chance to learn more about working around and on them.
Not a lot of experience is necessary, although any can be helpful, but more importantly, this person should have very good, “old school” work ethics, including mindfulness of cleanliness, safety, being extra careful around cars, their parts, shop tools/equipment, etc.

there are many people out there with this attributes! The biggest thing as a boss is to remember to treat them well. The whole work/life balance is important many workers under 45 beyond a paycheck want a place to belong, to have fun and to get to know new people. And if you can find a car person like us you will have a great employee on your hands! 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the comments and PMs so far.

Although Peter G. (unexpectedly) changed my initial thread title, I would like to clarify something.

My search for shop assistance/help is not necessarily limited to "hiring" only.

It could also be considered by someone (perhaps a retired individual enthusiast/hobbyist ?) wanting to help, learn and perhaps barter for some direct advise, assistance, consultation (from my experience) for their own DYI home project or earn little extra to offset costs on their own project, etc.

On 12/9/2021 at 10:46 AM, TTR said:

...having ability to adequately test drive clients cars through out the year also. 

Just this afternoon, I was "test driving" a clients 60+ year old car and its (automatic) transmission operations at speeds exceeding 100 MPH, all inside(!!!) the shop and tomorrow morning, planning to do (close to) same speeds/tests on the nearby roads. 

Another day (or two) in the “Office”.  😉

• 2 months later...

Just a brief update on this ongoing "problem"(?) of not having found any shop apprentice/assistant/helper.

In case anyone is or knows someone interested about the type of jobs I need help with, some of my current workload includes (but not limited to) 3 cars:

- 3 complete (1950s vintage) engine rebuilds.

- 3 complete (same era) transmission rebuilds (2 Automatics, 1 3-speed Manual) 

- I engine stand build (my own design, from scratch, needed for above engine rebuilds)

- Numerous other component or system rebuilds/restorations for above 3 cars (Axles, Brakes, Chassis/Frame, Suspension, Steering, Electrical/Wiring, Custom Fabrication of Parts, etc).

- Preparing to remove/disassemble/strip/refinish a rolling chassis/frame from one of the above cars along with complete overhaul and refinish of all its related components.

- Replace some rusty panels/ sections in the trunk area of the above car while the frame is off (I've already fabricated all replacement panels/sections)

- Re-organizing/Servicing some shop and storage equipment/facilities/tools/etc. (I've been throwing a lot stuff, including NOS parts, etc to dumpster)

- Selling, Packing & Shipping parts I reproduce.

- Assisting couple of clients buying or selling vintage cars.

- Expecting another car (for me to work on) to be delivered in couple of weeks (Unfortunately, I agreed on this already months ago, but hopefully it won't take more than 30-40 hrs).

- Etc, etc, etc ....

Not for last couple of years. 
The ones I’ve had in the past either didn’t have what I believe it takes (i.e. passion for old cars + ability and willingness to do or learn to do things correctly, no matter how slow* the process might seem) or moved on to establish their own shops, etc.

* I couldn’t tell you how many people believe or think restoration or rebuilding of decades old car is as easy as those TV shows make it seem.
I’ve often asked or wondered if they also believe in Santa Claus, tooth fairies and unicorns.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

And to make this sound even crazier/scarier, of all listed tasks or work, I can, do or have done most of it in-house/myself, but after 3+ decades and no longer being a thirty something, it has become apparent I could use some help.

• Like 1

I understand completely. I have been in the building business for 40+years, I like to say I dont need the practice anymore!

There was a high school in the  so cal area that would restore/rebuild cars then auction or sell them off to support the program. I think I saw one they were selling on the model A forum. I apologize for not having any more information but have you tried contacting someone like that?