Riviera 1963 blowing oil filters when cold start

Ocotillo Bandit

Hello all

I will try to explain my problem here for help, my Riviera 1963 with the original 401 occasionally blows the oil out of the filter seal, more commonly when cold start, when I go under to check the oil filter it is loose and notice a blown swollen walls, I tried different top brands of oil filters but keeps doing it, also notice the oil is too thick in cold mornings and wonder if I may be using the wrong oil density, so fat it only does it in the morning first start. I am tighten the filter according to manufacturers specs by hand. Should I use a wrench to tight it more or you think I have an oil pump problem?

Please give any advice, I'm afraid it happens on the freeway and blow the engine.

Thank you all for helping. 

8 hours ago, telriv said:

Dropping the pan on a '63-'65 Riv., to me, is Childs play. IF you have ANY experience you can have the pan off in about an hour or less, in the car.

Tom T.

That big IF comes from a professional mechanic.  You DIYers might be lucky to have the necessary tools, time, and know how. 😁

Hello  Ocotillo Bandit,  when tight ening your oil filter,  do as tight as you can by hand  then use  a oil pump pliers or  similiar tool 

and turn approx   1/2  a turn more with pliers.---30 weight is  fine  but should be using a  multi grade oil weight   example 10-30 or 15-30

this hells lube  your engine from cold start.

Also most--- CRITICAL--- is before you store your car-----change the  engine oil  before storing it away for winter.

after  changing oil, run it until  gets to normal   running temp,   then  store it away for winter.

This also  helps  your engine when re starting it  after the winter next year, .

Storing an engine with old engine oil in car  is very bad for the inside of engine because of axcidic build up  in cylinder walls

and bearings.

Edited by Wayne R (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thank you Wayne I like your advice, I will do an oil change tomorrow using multi grade oil, engine has 30,000 original miles. Will take it to a shop for oil pressure test as soon as possible. 

I am using 30 in San Diego California. Do you guys think I should stop using the car until fixed or it's OK to keep driving it like that?

I really thank you all for your help.