My First Antique Auto - 1927 Dodge Brothers Coupe - Series 124?

JoeW

I just picked this up last week and have spent some time searching around the internet to identify it.

I just located the frame serial number (it was painted over) - A-884-941.  The Engine is stamped with D958-860.

If anyone can help me build my knowledge on this car and its unique features and differences, i would be greatly appreciative.  Would love to know what is correct for the car, and what isn't.

If you want/need more pictures please guide me, Ill be happy to provide it.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ArticiferTom said:

Great overall book . The BOI is more model specific .

Could you point me in the right direction with a link?  Im still not even positive which model my car is, im just making assumptions at this point

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ArticiferTom said:

Wow thank you for the Link - I was unable to find an Owners Manual or "BOI" for the Model 124 on their site - only the Model 128 and 6 Cylinder and up models.  I apologize if i missed something there, im very new to this and to researching something so "seasoned". Thanks so much

Edited by JoeW (see edit history)

With the distributor through the head that’s what was called a “fast four”…..which is maybe five miles per hour faster than the previous 12 volt “slow four”…..fun cars and dependable, I have the convertible coupe version….

1 minute ago, trimacar said:

With the distributor through the head that’s what was called a “fast four”…..which is maybe five miles per hour faster than the previous 12 volt “slow four”…..fun cars and dependable, I have the convertible coupe version….

Does "slow four" refer to the "Four Points" engine?  

The Book of Information you need is in the DB club collection at AACA library. Contact them on Monday, they will copy it and send it to you for a few dollars. It will answer many of your questions. Looks like you have a very good start to your first antique. Join the DB club, AACA, and maybe a local club. Drive your car when you have checked it out and get used to driving an old car. Be patient. DB never actually used the name fast four, but it called your car the fastest four on the market. It stuck. The slow fours are what came before yours from 1915 up. 

5 minutes ago, ArticiferTom said:

Four cylinders .

got that... but there seemed to be 2 different 4 cylinder distinctions in this pdf (attached) - series 124 was reffered to as the "four points" and the 128/129 was reffered to as the fast four

Screenshot_20211124-141335_Drive.jpg

7 minutes ago, nearchoclatetown said:

The Book of Information you need is in the DB club collection at AACA library. Contact them on Monday, they will copy it and send it to you for a few dollars. It will answer many of your questions. Looks like you have a very good start to your first antique. Join the DB club, AACA, and maybe a local club. Drive your car when you have checked it out and get used to driving an old car. Be patient. DB never actually used the name fast four, but it called your car the fastest four on the market. It stuck. The slow fours are what came before yours from 1915 up. 

awesome - thanks for the info!  Looking forward to hearing what you and others have to offer about my new oldie.  Excited to learn

1 minute ago, Taylormade said:

Nice looking car.  On casual observation the engine color is wrong.  I’m much more knowledgeable on 30s DBs, but I think it should be green/grey.  I’ll let the experts give their opinion.

We’ve been painting them all this colour over here.  

3D0E1035-C57E-404C-9D8C-1C720EF41397.jpeg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Taylormade said:

Nice looking car.  On casual observation the engine color is wrong.  I’m much more knowledgeable on 30s DBs, but I think it should be green/grey.  I’ll let the experts give their opinion.

That's really good to know....i would love to eventually restore to the original color both body and engine!  Does the color get coded into the serial like modern cars (for body paint)?

7 minutes ago, JoeW said:

Mine will Def have to be cleaned up and or replaced....did you install electric fuel?20211124_132347.jpg.5081c74a60009c9722aa3b035bf58a22.jpg

The 1918 in the picture still uses the vacuum tank and works quite well with no issues. In both my victory’s I have fitted electric fuel pumps and electronic ignition. Not necessary but was just my choice to do that. 

Well, if we're doing a beauty contest, here's my '27 convertible coupe (cabriolet) engine compartment, thanks to Rob at Hattie's Garage.  These pictures may be a good reference for your car.

The engine color is debatable, and different light shows different colors.  The thought is that they dumped whatever gray green colors they could buy the cheapest into a vat and that's why it's so hard to nail down an exact color.

Yes, that's the wrong body color for the car, it should be green.  Still has the original Spanish leather interior and rumble seat, though.  It gets mistaken for a Model A quite often.

IMG_5502.JPG

IMG_5503.JPG

IMG_6003.JPG

• Like 2

183090584_24DBcoupe-1.jpg.2ad1bc81aa9d56c274fb55b3b161c976.jpg619335136_24DBcoupe-2.jpg.3b338b0df94b136c070cfd02ad45b19f.jpg1897098880_24DBcoupe-3.jpg.a281ad0af047963e67f4a3a19971131c.jpg

Hello.  Welcome to the Dodge Brothers community and congratulations on your first antique!   As you see, you can find much helpful information on this forum, as well as through the Dodge Brothers Club and magazine.  Join the club, if you haven´t already done so: great cars and great people.  When it comes to restoration of these venerable cars, patience and research are necessary, and they will bring you much satisfaction.  My first "antique" was a 1924 DB coupe, and it is now my only old car.  I have become an antique myself, but the Dodge Brothers remains perfectly "dependable."  Best of luck on your adventure.  

• Like 3

There are also two Dodge Brothers Facebook pages. One of them is connected with the club; Dodge Brothers Club, Inc. , and the other;  Dodge Brothers Motor Cars 

Dodge Brothers Club home page; Home | Dodge Brothers Club

Edited by Mark Gregush (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

An update on the car - I have fully disassembled her and just dropped the frame off at powder coat!  Really excited to finally be moving on it, even though I fully anticipate to take another year before she drives!  

Edited by JoeW (see edit history)