1950 Fargo (Dodge) Brake Adjusters

fundytides

In the process of resurrecting a 1950 Fargo 1 ton truck. Basically a Dodge, built to be sold by Canadian Plymouth dealers. I am rebuilding the brakes and found that someone has removed the adjusters on one rear wheel. Any body know if these can be bought anywhere and secondly what is the process for installing them? Does the cam have to be swaged on to the shaft?

This is a picture of a similar one on a 1/2 ton. Don't need the shoe retainer springs, just the adjuster that goes out through the backing plate and has a bolt head and spring on the back. Can't see how to take it apart. Maybe if I had a new one in hand, the process would be obvious

fargo adjuster.jpg

Thanks Terry. I will try him. Missed Hershey this year (and last) because " foreigners" (in this case Canadians) weren't allowed to cross at the US land crossings. Hope things will be better next fall. Here's a "before" picture of the truck. It is currently disassembled, frame painted, brakes redone (well 3) and new tires mounted on redone wheels. Body, motor and transmission are all in the respective shops being prepared for re-installation.

farg09.JPG

• Like 2

Excellent! I thought you might be from Canada eh, that Bay of Fundy area is quite amazing.  Toured it by motorcycle in the mid 1980s.  

Roberts Motor Parts has a separate catalog of just Dodge truck parts.  You might want to get it for future reference.  Another source might be Vintage Powerwagons.

You are overdue for a return visit. Probably should make it in a warmer time of year , especially if you are still travelling by motorcycle. Let me know if you are coming. My wife and I have visited the Lancaster area a couple of times and really enjoyed it. Thanks again for your help. Here's a couple of pics of my cars

striping2.jpg

Evandale Hotel.jpg

IMG_6999.JPG

• Like 2

Ha!  Yes a bit cool this time of year for motorcycle traveling.  My motorcycle at the time was a 1982 Suzuki GS750.  It was running low on fuel as me and my buddy on his Honda 750 were racing to get the ferry at Digby to get to St. John NB.  My cycle ran out of gas going up the ramp from the ferry and I had to push it uphill to get out of the way of traffic.  It was a fantastic adventure in a country of friendly people who enjoyed chatting with two guys on motorcycles from PA.

Might be if you ground off those rivets that hold the keeper the adjuster may just push out.

Probably could put that keeper back on  with bolts and nuts.

I also suspect that these adjusters came on many Chrysler products.

I recently gave a couple of rear ends away but don't recall looking at them close enough to know what I m talking about.

29 minutes ago, JACK M said:

Might be if you ground off those rivets that hold the keeper the adjuster may just push out.

Probably could put that keeper back on  with bolts and nuts.

I also suspect that these adjusters came on many Chrysler products.

I recently gave a couple of rear ends away but don't recall looking at them close enough to know what I m talking about.

Thanks Jack. Didn't realize that those rivets had anything to do with the adjuster. Thought they just kept the brake shoe spring in place. I'll have to take a closer look.

Replacing the whole backing plate is the right answer...those pins and cams do not repair and last... meaning welding or brazing the cam to the pin.

seen that a few times.

The pin/bolt and cam are swedged together at the factory...

But here are the pin and cam factory MoPar part numbers...

Cam #1262832

Pin/Bolt #1292517

20211114_210225_compress65.jpg

Thanks c49er. That's a great diagram. I feared that this was the case and that lasting repair would be difficult especially if using used Pins (5-21-2) as the end would have to be ground off to remove them from the salvage vehicle. Good used backing plates with the adjusters intact would be ideal but may be hard to find. Do you know if the pins, washers, springs and cams are available anywhere either as NOS or repro? If so maybe they could be swaged in a hydraulic press. In any case, thanks again. This diagram explains the assembly perfectly.

Go to "AMS Obsolete MoPar" and enter those parts #'s in the "search parts" bar to see if they have it.

Do the same at "Deception Pass Motor Parts"...there you can enter your parts numbers to see if he has those parts.

Enter those parts numbers on Google too...sometimes you get a good hit...same @ ebay.

Thanks for all the great info. We have a used backing plate, with adjusters in place, on the way. Don't think the backing plate is useable but we will salvage the adjusters and from what you have said, will be careful to end up with the pin end at the correct height so that the shoe is sitting in the proper position.