Best convertible top company?

60s GM Fan

So my top is in good shape right now however its starting to show its age.  It'll need to be replaced probably in the next few years depending on how badly the AZ sun beats it up.  The boots snaps are also starting to fail and that'll need to be replaced as well (although I'll replace that one before the top).  Which company would you guys recommend for tops?  I'm looking for something that's as close to original as possible.

Electron is an established company, they probably have a pattern for your car.   Here is a link   http://www.electrontop.com/

there are others ... EZ on,  Robbins is a California co that makes and installs,  I don't know if they will sell you a top without install. 

Note.... if you buy a top plan on installing it yourself,..... if you take it to a shop to have it installed,  they may give you a hard time and will not warranty the top because they did not 

purchase it (and make a mark-up)

Decide on the brand that you want then tell the installing shop which brand you want. 

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

By observation, if the top is patterned correctly, even if it might be an inexpensive brand, the installation is KEY to it looking "right" with few wrinkles and such.  Shop around for a local/regional trim shop that has an experienced convertible top installer person.  Talk to them about which top brands they have the best luck with.  Do NOT talk about originality, as that might increase the price a bit!  Just talk about "OEM-level" tops, no options or such.  Just that the top is OEM-level quality.  Then talk about which brands they have access to, at what general pricing, and what their recommendation might be.  THEY can see how nice the car is and can draw conclusions from that, too.

Then talk about the warranty on the top AND the installation.  IF it is installed correctly, it should last a good while, even in AZ, I suspect.  Considering how good the car looks (in the pictures I found online), I suspect they will desire to make everything look even better with a quality top THEY installed to perfection.

What condition are the hydraulics and lines in?

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Last one i purchased was from Cars  a few years ago, for a 69 skylark ,---Old Buick Parts---and it was very good , they have  regular  32 ounce,

or heavy duty  38 ounce,  for memory the the price was  very fare for the  quality, and as  NTX5467  says  make sure you 

get a  pro that knows  what he is doing  is  critical  to a good  finish.

I need one my self, for my 64 Electra ,but the shipping is very bad and expensive  right now i will wait  until

i come over to  US in about  1 or 2 years  to a National  and bring one back  with me.-- regards.---

PS  i can hardly see through my  rear window.

P1060759.JPG

Top and hydraulics are in good shape but it seems like the seams are aging/getting tired.  The top is also light blue and although I like the color its not the factory white color.  It'll work for now but my concern is the AZ sun will beat it up.

My son had a '67 Cutlass convertible and though his white top was in good physical shape, it was dingy.  He took it to a detail shop who re-dyed it white and it really came out looking nice.  You might want to look into that as an interim step.  You could dye it white and see how you like it.

We have been very pleased with the several tops, both Vinyl and Haartz Canvas, made by Electron for our cars over the years.

I agree that the best installer is key to getting a great looking and fitting top.

Be sure to replace all rubber gasket components, as well as the pads.

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I bet I have watched the attached video at least four times. The kids say I am easy to entertain. My '86 Park Ave convertible is getting close to needing new after 35 years. I will actually be working on the install of new cylinders today. It goes into storage next week, the only car not stored at home for winter.

If I don't sell it I will at least give the guy in the video a shot at doing the job. He is about 500 miles away. I would like to go with a dark blue Hartz cloth with sort of an M-B look.

I can see from the video that a lot has to do with the subtleties of the fitment. I will probably watch it again today.

For me the interesting part is having both a friendly tailor in town who has made some clothes for me and a upholstery shop that has done some off the wall things at my request. They might help with that sewing work and leave me with the mechanical side of the install.

Question is, would I be willing to buy two sets of material, one to screw up and one that, hopefully, goes on right.

Oh, I should mention that this topic reminds me of a story from about 20 years ago.

A friend went to the Rolls-Royce Owner's Club headquarters in Mechanicsburg, Pa. for a training seminar for late model braking systems.

When he returned I asked "How was the seminar?"

"Not too good."

"Really! What happened?"

"I still think I can do it myself."

If it's good training hire the instructor.