35 Buick body question

Buick35

I have a 35 41 series with the trunk and spare tire behind the trunk.I saw a set of front fenders with the side mount type on e-bay with the hardware(less covers).I would still have to get a luggage rack.My question is did they make a trunk back sedan with a luggage rack or would that look odd?Greg

check your service manual.   also,  the buick listing for judging for shows and things like that.   The judging listing from BCA. lists lots of things like that.   I don't know - but if you go to that configuration,  you will be very limited as to what spare tires will fit.    My '37'. coupe had side mounts. and trying to find tires to fit inside the covers was a pain.   My buddy had to let air out of the side mount spares to make it fit.   JMHO,  like mine,  I'd leave it in the '5 wheel configuration'.      I just put new tires on my '35' that were tubeless.   But I also put on wire wheels.   I had to instal 'wheel strips'  to use inner tubes which I must use because the wheels won't let me use regular tubeless valves.   The opening for the valves (tube type) is bigger than modern tubeless tire valves.    So I found big enough inner tubes to fit etc.   and the project moves on - - 

8D98592A-D069-4C8A-AB60-0394826C8E9A.jpeg

My former 34-57 had sidemounts and the fit was tight, but I really like the "look". Decreasing air pressure allowed to install, and then increased the pressure again. Also, I carry an inflator/jump-box so it is never an issue. I've seen cars with both the built-in trunk and a luggage rack, and also with an accessory trunk, because you can never have too many tools, spare parts, and extras for she who must be considered.

I'm not up on specific judging standards for this model, so if that is your goal then be aware, but if your own pleasure is the goal, I think it would look great.

Whatever you decide, that is a beautiful body style - good luck !

1934 Buick10 Sidemount.JPG

1934 Buick9 Right Rear.JPG

1934 Buick6 Right.JPG

1934 Buick5 Right Front.JPG

• Like 1

mine are ? Ford rims and are manuf.  as a 5-1/2" bolt circle  - 17" wheel.      Our 50 series  Buick  wheel is 16"and has the 5-1'2" bolt circle.    You have a 40 series wheel and has a  5" bolt circle with a 16" rim.       Buick created at least 3 different bolt circle  wheels in 1935.      40 series / 5" bolt circle,   50 aeries / 5-1/2" bolt circle,   60 series  /  w/ 6" bolt circle.   Possible a bigger B.c.  on the 80  series.    What insanity when Buick was in the dumps in sales  in 1935.    It was one of my problems when I worked on my. 35-58 Buick.    As you can see,  it works.    Now i need to buy 17" chrome rims like I have on my. 38-46s.    With the chrome hub caps an chrome rims,  it will look nice without buying white wall tires.    Are you having any fun yet ? ?  

This information may help. The 1934/35 Series 40 parts book lists a trunk platform for fender well models - group  9.900   part 1286354 

I believe the platform is the same for all 40 Series models but different mounting brackets are used for different models.

34sidemount2 (2).jpg

34sidemount (3).jpg

34sidemount (2).jpg

If you take your wheels to a tire shop, make sure that the disk that they use to hold the rim, to their machine  clamps on the center of the wheel and not on the top of the wheel where the hub cap attachers.  Using a large diameter disk on the part where the hub cap attaches could result in the hub cap not attaching  properly.