Early Motor ID

AHa

I was wondering if anybody might recognize this motor. It came out of a barn in Connecticut a few years ago. There aren't any numbers on it that I can find, though I haven't tried to clean it up. The cylinder has a water jacket and the head has cooling fins. Atmospheric intake with mechanical exhaust.myearlymotor.jpg.c875b358a3221b70005cb62

• Like 1

Bob, Measuring the hardware may help, or maybe not? European hardware may have been more standardized in those days than the USA was. Most USA automakers did not begin to standardize hardware until about 1910. It was actually Henry Ford, and his demanding standardization from his suppliers that pushed the move toward standardization. A lot of hardware manufacturers, once they had to standardize for those lucrative Ford contracts simply carried the standardization into most of their inventory (cheaper to standardize at that point than to maintain separate inventories!). This began even before the model T!  On the other hand, many US automakers did not join in on that standardization until after 1910.

Neat looking engine! You should check with George Albright in Florida about that.

De Dion and Crest in the USA both built engines similar to that, but I don't know them well enough to know all the differences. Both companies also licensed other manufactures to manufacture legitimate copies. Unlicensed pirate companies also made copies of De Dion and Crest motors in unknown numbers. Licensed copies may or may not have names cast in them. And I think both Crest and De Dion made their engines both with or without names cast in. Those were two of the most common single cylinder engine manufacturers in the mid to late 1890s and on up until about 1903 (some even later, but not so common).

De Dion licensed manufacturers around much of Europe, Great Britain, Canada, and the USA. If I recall correctly, Crest started building under De Dion licensing before they made some changes. Even the earliest Pierce models (the Motorette!) used the De Dion motor! (I know someone that has/had one of the early Pierce Motorettes!) (I do need to get down there and visit a bunch of old friends!)

That motor does look maybe a bit tall for most automotive use? But it also looks light enough in weight to be intended for an automobile.

Maybe for your gasoline carriage?

That is an unusual motor. 1900-10 vintage. Possibly industrial. Definitely not De Dion Bouton as those letters are always cast on the crankcase. I’d be a buyer at $600. I can pick up at Hershey Tuesday or Wednesday only, if we can get it delivered there. Thanks George Albright Ocala Florida.  Cell weekdays best 10-4. 352 843 1624. Email gnalbright@gmail.com 

• Like 1