Under Carpet Insulation

Im getting ready to start the int of my T/A.  My last car I did was pretty much right to factory and I used the factory type underlayment. Waste of money in my opinion. I suppose it does its job but the car is still noisy. I would like to do better this time around. What do you guys use or recommend. I have used a small bit of the noise mat material, its expensive so I was wondering if there was a better or equal way to do the job?  Not trying to be cheap but rather best bang for the buck kinda thing.

If you're not concerned with the originality, Lizard Skin is a good option. There are two parts to their system, one is ceramic insulation for heat and the other is a noise reducer. I've used it on several hot rods and it is a vast improvement. It stiffens things up and reduced noise and heat considerably.

Things like FatMat are great noise reducers but I agree, too expensive. I looked on Ebay and got a generic brand in a big roll for way less money and it worked extremely well. My normally noisy 6.2 diesel Chevy Blazer is very quiet and everyone who rides in it says that. I also used a factory type insulation pad with an attached (factory) asphalt backing. I would suggest the usual felt underlayment with it glued to rolled asphalt roofing. Then put your mat or rug on top. You'll be amazed at how quiet it makes your car.

Thanks, I was thinking about the lizard skin, will look into that. I have also heard of guys using for the lack of better terms, a bubble type wrap from the likes of home depot/lowes. I know the stuff just not sure how it would work under the carpet without adding too much.

I have two layers of the Home Depot silver covered insulation wrap under the carpet of a '70 cutlass convertible and it works great.  I added it to reduce the heat transfer from the exhaust to the floor.  I can't comment on it reducing noise

• Like 1

I have also used inexpensive aluminum foil covered insulation an a number of cars it is quite effective in both heat and noise reduction. Most recently I used it under the original floor mat of a 1934 Chevrolet and the before and after noise control was pretty amazing.

20200603_134927.jpg

20200603_134943.jpg

20200603_134919.jpg

20200603_134819.jpg

20200603_134857.jpg