6v to 12v converter

Pcmhomes

I have a 50 Windsor it’s all original with the 6v system.  I am considering putting in a converter for 12v just to power my phone and possibly a radio or speaker.  Has anyone done this with success?  If so what did you use for a converter?  Thanks for the help!

Have you tried just plugging in the phone's charger/adapter to the 6 volt cigar lighter? I've hear it sometimes works, as the phone "charger" puts out 5 volts. Oh, WAIT, the Chrysler is POSITIVE ground, so you need to build a small insulated box and wire an accessory port (cigar lighter socket) with negative ground to power your charger.

I've seen people with Buicks just plug their charger into the 6 volt cigar lighter, but they are negative ground cars.

If you buy a 6 to 12 converter, you need to find one with ISOLATED input and output, so the input is 6 volts positive ground and the output is negative ground 12 volts.😉

Here is an example, but this one is WAY too big for your use, hence the high price tag.

https://www.powerstream.com/dc6-12.htm

• Thanks 1

Have a look at Eckler’s part number 49-20693-1.  Seems purpose-made for this application.

I installed a converter from Classic Car Stereos this spring in my 1951 Pontiac . Works great for charging phone and my back up camera. It is 6 amp max and will still handle a 12 volt radio with good speakers . $65.00 plus shipping . Check them online, they are in Oceanside ,Calif.

3 hours ago, Don Eash said:

I installed a converter from Classic Car Stereos this spring in my 1951 Pontiac . Works great for charging phone and my back up camera. It is 6 amp max and will still handle a 12 volt radio with good speakers . $65.00 plus shipping . Check them online, they are in Oceanside ,Calif.

Thank you!