Velie Model 66

Looks like a sedan of some sort cut down into a pickup truck? Maybe the other sedan back section is the original? Or maybe something that might work as a replacement? Be nice to know. Either way, at best this is a big however very interesting project! It can be done! I have restored lesser cars from worse (lesser cars are easier to get needed parts and in some ways easier to cheat on some fabrication). I have also helped others work on comparable cars that weren't much better.

It would be nice to know the intentions of the original post? someone wanting advice about restoring a family treasure? Maybe hoping to sell and fund their child's university? Or maybe a simply "looky what I found"?

We can't help much if we don't know.

Probably a very rare car IF it can be resurrected.

• Like 1

Velie was a brass era American automobile brand produced by the Velie Motors Corporation in Moline, Illinois from 1908 to 1928. The company was founded by and named for Willard Lamb Velie, a maternal grandson of John Deere.  Velie founded Velie Carriage Company in 1902, which was successful, then Velie Motor Vehicle Company in 1908. *According to the Official Velie Register, world wide 230 Velies are known to exist as of 2010*

• Like 1

The project is a 10 hour round trip from where I am. I've picked up most of the loose items and will collect the chassis in the next few weeks.

The car was uted at some point in its life. The farmer who I am buying the project off acquired the sheet metal for a Model 66 Tudor so it could be either rebuilt as a ute or a Tudor.

Velie engine.JPG

Thank you for the added information! I do hope you can get that car restored, and hopefully take some of us along for the ride!

I know a few people in your part of the world that have restored utes, and I really like them. However, a late Velie is such a rare car that (as if my opinion means anything?) I would hope it would be restored back to a factory offering. I was wondering about that two-door body section. The belt lines and moldings on late Velie automobiles were a bit different than most other cars of that era (Velie's styling was always a bit different). Looking at the picture shared by mike6024, the remains of the original four-door turned ute, and the two-door rear section are all slightly different. I don't know if that was a model or year difference or just the way they were between body styles. If you don't have the two-door body doors, making the four-door sedan doors work could be very difficult! If you do not have the four-door sedan rear doors? That could be even worse.

Sometimes the best thing is to restore the car into the nice ute it later was.

Congratulations on a fantastic project!