Dr. James R. Foor Auction (WV)

Chimera

• Chimera changed the title to Dr. James R. Foor Auction (WV)

I was at the Friday evening viewing and Saturday auction and it was an interesting experience for sure. The amount of parts literally crammed into the tent was mind boggling and there was much variation within the parts. Some of the best deals were lots that were physically mismarked vs what the online pictures and description stated.  For example lot 304 included an NOS 1965 cathedral headlight molding in original box (not listed in photos or description) and that lot went for $160 a mere fraction of the value of that 1 piece. Same for a 3.42 posi from a 72. I wanted to bid based on the mis-markings but I wasn't sure what I would get and I've never put 5 cents into a slot machine so not a gambler.

There were 2 or 3 parts dealers there (guessing) and they were bidding/buying the lions share and one in particular bought over $6000 worth. But others "who shall remain unnamed" had their vehicles packed to the roof as well!!! During pickup after auction a common site was folks trying to figure out how to fit 10lb of potatoes in a 5lb sack.

Many parts did go reasonable and there were some rare items but quite a few got bid up to an eye popping amount. Generally speaking the cars went fairly close to market and were about as expected with some exceptions. There were dealers doing a lot of the bidding on cars as well. The one that shocked me was an 84 Regal that sold for a whopping $17k! We'll probably see some of these cars back on the market for 10-30K more than what was paid at auction. I had my eye on the 68GS and 72 as I knew those cars pretty well but I never got a chance to raise the bid as they quickly went beyond what I wanted to pay. I felt the low mile, original paint, bucket seat 68 GS was one of the best deals at $19k

The buyer of the 66 GS may be one of the more disappointed ones. It was a clone but it photographed well though has some issues. If whoever got it reads this you will probably be needing a 66 BS code tranny to make it correct....which I have for sale! One thing I figured out this car has a brand new NOS 091 dual quad cam in it. I was searching frantically for the lot that had it as I knew it was part of Jim's collection a few years back, but he apparently installed it in his 66 which he had stated he wanted to do. I eventually found the NOS 091 container but it had a worn out 66 camshaft in it 😬

Roughly there were about 65 people there at start of auction. Some left after the cars were sold and it dwindled slowly as the auction went on leaving maybe 10-15 to the very end. Took about 3.5 hours to auction all the lots and it moved pretty fast. Onsite bidders definitely got preference due to online bidding delays. 

There were 5 ROA members present (that I am aware of) and we had a mini ROA gathering which was very nice.

In the end, while we enjoyed the experience, the backside is it was sad because Jim Foor is still alive but had no idea (due to Alzheimer's) his lifelong collection he worked so diligently to build and then planned to enjoy in his retirement was being auctioned off. Teachable moment here folks!

Couple pics. 1st is final viewing of Parts Saturday morning. The vultures were circling! there were parts under every table as well as on top. 2nd is the auction just prior to starting.

auction.jpg

auction3.jpg

auction4.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Very interesting report Jason - thanks for reporting out on the auction!

Would have loved to attend the auction and be part of the mini-ROA get together afterwards.

Cheers,

On 5/3/2021 at 9:38 AM, JZRIV said:

There were 5 ROA members present (that I am aware of) and we had a mini ROA gathering which was very nice.

Jason, pleasure talking to you at the auction. I appreciate you being there and lending a hand on the bezel 304. Had the box not been marked 304 in my lot 300 I would have complained had not been in my 300 lot.

For the most part I had a great time.

I got lost trying to find my hotel with bad GPS directions but I found the hotel after some reconnaissance work.😎

4 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Jason, pleasure talking to you at the auction. I appreciate you being there and lending a hand on the bezel 304. Had the box not been marked 304 in my lot 300 I would have complained had not been in my 300 lot.

For the most part I had a great time.

I got lost trying to find my hotel with bad GPS directions but I found the hotel after some reconnaissance work.😎

That`s what happens when you dont have a couple of "soda pops" at dinner!

Tom

• Haha 1

Tom, you talk about disaster? If I started drinking those “ Guinness pops” I’d be lost looking for a still! 
It was a real pleasure to chat. Your best story was the one about you and your son visiting a cousin. Great story.

It was fun learning about mechanic methods for completing a job.

Regards,

Turbinator

• Haha 1