Affordable EFI

I'm assuming you went with the throttle body style injection? Curious how this works out for you. Was considering fabbing up a port injection set-up and intake. The siamesed ports have me concerned with how to control it so as not to spray the back of a closed intake valve. Still would be better distribution than the stock intake.

One of our members ("First Born") built a tubular intake and used the TBI kit on his '50s Buick.  The fuel system was from Affordable, which was where we first learned of that company.  Better fuel economy and better performance were two benefits.  There shoudl be some threads un here from when he did it initially and afterward.

On any EFI, if the system is not "sequential", then they fire all of the injectors at once.  The issue of closed valves, with the engine "at rpm", does not seem to be an issue, although it might seem that it would.  Things apparently happen so fast the closed valve/injector firing are not an issue.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Dennis Hagen said:

Recently added Affordable EFi to my 51 Super convert. Starts and runs great, added aluminum radiator also. Will update

as I put on some more miles.

You WILL like the FI, Dennis.  I would not go back for anything.  Did you use their Legacy model or the newer set up?

Ben

Attached 3 pictures, it is a 51 super converted hood to front opening. The aluminum duct you see is connected to a 4” fan to cool the carb in hot weather to prevent vapor lock. I can remove the duct now as cool gas is circulating from tank to throttle body and back to tank. Affordable called this system: 1900-1 Custom TBI For Buick l-8 263 Engine. Total cost delivered was 885.00.

A4559E2D-6140-40AA-B3E8-62B27C682E57.jpeg

BCFC585D-20A8-4C0A-A95A-9DEC61F7AA73.jpeg

88645E88-9206-4BB2-8439-C7FEA3CD38F0.jpeg

• Like 2

Nice work.  My engine bay is much messier.  I've since neatened a bit and put an air cleaner on.  This system ran me $775 delivered.  Easy to install. Had to switch to pertronix ignition.  Runs great.  Only downside was losing my pedal start switch

20210103_144655.jpg

20210103_144708.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

When they get to putting COP ( Coil on Plug ), a crank sensor ( eliminate distributor ) and a brain to control all ( control spark and spark / timing advance ) a gas tanks with pump in tank and therefore a pressurized fuel system ... then by all means give me a call and I will be all in.

Both FiTech and Holley offer two barrel EFI set ups now. I know the FiTech is completely self tuning and has a three wire hook up. Of course fuel pump and 02 sensor are needed. Have had good luck with the  FiTech 4bbl units and they are around 8-900 $ compared to the 12-1300$ for the Holley or Edelbrock.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey First Born you asked for an update: After install started right up, did not have to do any adjustments. Removed vacuum line to wiper motor as I now have electric wipers, I thought idle was a little fast and instructions said to check for vacuum leaks and that did it. I have put on about 200 miles and runs cool in 90+ temperatures. Temperature gauge stays below center even after long idle, very happy. I’m heading to Mn and 51 will rest in Az till fall.

I plan to convert my 56 this summer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1