Cleaning coolant overflow tank

ia-k

Changing out the anti-freeze/coolant along with the radiator and heater hoses in my mid-80s Chrysler. 

Removed the overflow tank for better access to the lower radiator hose and have attempted  to clean the inside of the tank. Hot water, various soaps/cleaners, shaking it, and letting it sit for several days has gotten some of it out. Still more in there, especially on the underside of the curves and along where the hot/cold level is.

Any ides on what to use to get this stuff out. I know there will always be some staining but this stuff looks like pond algae stuck to the sides.

36 minutes ago, JCHansen1 said:

Have you tried vinegar? I'd keep it away from the coolant tank hoses, as rubber and vinegar don't mix well, but it should be good on the plastic.  

This may work, or maybe bleach?  If its the typical 80's plastic part I dont think there is anything you can to make it look new again. Not sure of the availability but after trying to clean and clean I finally broke down and bought new for my 77 pontiac.

• Like 1

No need to be perfect, just so I can see the coolant level. 

I don’t think this stuff is a stain or discoloration as where I could reach with a piece of cloth on a wooden dowel it would come off.

I did this successfully years ago with some industrial detergent/cleaner concentrate from Costco and steel shot. Shake it up.

I don't remember what the detergent was but it was something that mixed with water. Whatever it was, the supply dried up over a decade ago. I have a hunch Oil Eater might substitute.

4 hours ago, HarryLime said:

Youtube search "radiator tank clean" shows some very effective methods .

I second the YT search.

There are many well done videos on how to clean up a plastic overflow tank.